Roon remote 1.7 slows down my MacBook

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Custom server i7/Euphony (linux)/Roon 1.7 511

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fiberoptic broadband/TalkTalk Router/ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Kef LS50 Wireless (via WiFi)
or
Sotm USB hub/Mutec USB/Hugo TT 2

Description Of Issue

Roon remote 1.7 511 on my MacBook macOS Catalina is pretty sluggish.
1.6x was always OK. Looks like it “takes” a lot from graphic memory.
Whole system is slower, minimising windows and opening folders is much slower.

Roon Remote on my phone is absolutely fine.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing. I have a fairly powerful Mac so it isn’t really an issue but Roon Remote shouldn’t need to use so much CPU and overall energy all the time while it isn’t being used. I can’t imagine more than a periodic ping to the Core would really be necessary while the app is in the background and things aren’t changing / there are no user interactions.

1 Like

I honestly think that it all started after recent update (511).

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

We are currently investigating this behavior internally and one thing that might help us better understand the issue is to install the Intel Power Gadget and share some screenshots of the GFX Frequency line when this issue is occurring. The screenshot would look like this:

If you have noticed the same behavior, I kindly request that you run this tool for both discrete and dynamic mode. Thanks!

that’s just with playback ON

playback paused

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thanks for those screenshots. We have found a common pattern in similar reports and I wanted to ask you as well if you experience is the same.

• Does Roon get into this high GPU usage state only music is playing?
  • Does it only occur when you are in the album details page of the currently playing track?
  • If you open the album details of another album and have music playing, does it continue to happen?
  • Does Roon get into this high GPU usage state only music is playing? YES
  • Does it only occur when you are in the album details page of the currently playing track? YES
  • If you open the album details of another album and have music playing, does it continue to happen? NO Edit: to be honest I think it’s still a bit sluggish but not as much as on the album details (playback)
1 Like

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thanks for that info, I have forwarded it to QA for their investigation.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thank you again for your report. We have been investigating this behavior internally and wish to inquire about two more aspects here, can you please perform the following tests to help clarify further?

Test 1:

1. Go to Tracks Browser
  2. Play any track
  3. See if the issue reproduces

Test 2:

1. Go to any playlist details page
  2. Play any track
  3. See if the issue reproduces

Thanks!

it seems to be OK.

it only seriously slows down on this screen:

1 Like

update 521 didn’t help…
I will be patient though.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thanks for your patience here. There hasn’t been any changes in build 521 to specifically address this yet, the investigation is still ongoing and pending review by the dev team.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains a few graphics-related improvements. Can you please let us know if there has been any change in behavior with the new update?

Please see our full release notes below:

yes, it works fine!

thank you.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thanks for the update here! If the issue does re-occur do let me know.

@noris sorry I didn’t see the updates on this thread until now, but Roon on my Mac uses 30% - 45% all the time when I am not using it for either navigation or to play anything and it is showing the overview screen. I’d attach a process sample but I don’t see any way to attach files to posts.

Another one… Check out: macOS Catalina interface laggy randomly while running Roon (High GPU usage randomly, Roon idle 20% GPU, sometimes up to 99% usage)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.