Roon Remote crashing after update to 521

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the fast reaction! Indeed, after reinstalling, things work like normal until I click an album without artwork. Unfortunately I do not own any non Android remote devices, so I can’t test other OS. And rebooting device doesn’t help; I tried that several times…

Kindest greetings,

Marcel

Thanks for the details, @Marcel_van_Tilburg.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Dylan,

Just did the same thing on the Huawei Mediapad twice and it crashed again, at 23:18 and 23:20. After the second time it crashes everytime I try restarting Roon Remote, so I cannot do anything else but reinstalling the app. For the sake of the investigation I will not do that yet. Hope you will find a fix for this; using my phone instead is not very pleasant…

Kindest greetings from Holland,

Marcel

1 Like

Thanks, @Marcel_van_Tilburg. The team is working on this issue and I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as we have new information available.

I have the same exact issue - running ROON Server 1.7 build 521 on Mac OS X, and my Roon Remote crashes whenever viewing albums with no artwork on my Android devices (Google Pixel 3 or Pixel Slate). Seems like one of the newer updates is the cause, because I’ve never had this issue until recently.

Same problem, on Android remote where album does not have the cover crashes Roon 1.7-521
Sistem:
ASUS ZenPad 10 (P00C)
Android 7.0

Same Room remote issue as everyone else since updated on my Google Pixel running Android version 10.
Before a fix can developed, is it possible to roll back / reinstall a previous roon remote so people with only Android devices can continue to listen for the time being?

1 Like

+1 I would also like to request Roon make previous version of Roon Remote available while support continues to work on this problem.

1 Like

Agree also. Not going to buy a new tablet for this!

Hi everyone,

Our team is hard at work on this and you can see our latest updates here:

Unfortunately, downgrading isn’t supported for a variety of reasons, but we’ll be sure to keep you update as soon as we have more information.

1 Like

We understand downgrading isn’t supported for “whatever” reasons. What we want is to downgrade Roon Remote only to 5.11 while your team is hard at work trying to resolve this issue. There’s no reason whatsoever why it’s not possible to run Roon Remote under 5.11 while Core and Server is running 5.21. Roon Remote 5.11 has been running fine on any device that hasn’t been updated to 5.21. Other users have successfully installed the Roon Remote 5.11 apk.

Saying you don’t support downgrading in this case is only displaying a complete lack of sympathy/empathy for those users affected by the incompetence of Roon in releasing Build 5.21 on an unsuspecting user base. Continually referring affected users to a week old update that was no update to begin with, is just perpetuating Roon’s complete lack of care and respect for the interests of their paying customers.

Time to spend a few minutes to make Roon Remote 5.11 available to any users that want it. Then your team can take all the time they want to resolve this issue.

1 Like

Also agree. Am incapacitated due to the sudden bug on Android tablet. Roon should provide a solution to its customers.

1 Like

Same here, need 5.11 for Windows.

Solution to the problem (as long as Roon is still working so hard !?): Assign manually a picture / blind template to the albums without an artwork. So Roon Remote no longer crashes. It’s not a professional solution, but it works.

… or long pressing the album until the menu pops up and choose play. Works for me…

In my case, the roon remote app shut down the very second it connected to my endpoint, there is no time to press anything.

@dylan, is there any update or progress on the issue?

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

1 Like

… and it’s working again, what a relief! Many thanks for the good work!

Kindest greetings from the Netherlands!

Marcel

Ditto - I can confirm this is fixed on my end with the latest update. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.