Roon Remote display resolution too high for HP Touchpad running Android? What is needed?

Hi,

I’m currently on day two of my 14 day trial and have run into an issue.

My preferred control/remote is an HP Touchpad running Android 4.4 - its not the most powerful, but runs Yatze to control my Kodi box well enough, so adding Roon Remote seemed logical.

Roon Remote loads and starts fine, then fails citing the screen resolution. I read this https://community.roonlabs.com/t/minimum-screen-resolution/10683 which indicates 700 pixels of vertical resolution is required - the Touchpad’s resolution is 1024x768, so it should work?

If the Touchpad is not adequate, what are the actual minimum specs that I need for a working solution on an Android tablet?

Thanks

Alan

Does this help?
From the Roon Knowledge Base --> Android Display Settings

Yes it does, a lot, thanks and apologies for not looking harder. At least now I understand why there is no direct answer!

Interesting experience. Forcing full screen mode (which involved enabling SuperUser access - scary) worked, and looked good - but of course, no back/home/active window buttons - so not really usable in my set up.

Tweaking the DPI using the adb method referenced at the end of the KB document was also successful, and a little more friendly because other apps were also usable, but its still a little unsatisfactory as image quality in general suffered, ad other apps did not fare as well.

The Touchpad uses 160 dpi/density of 1 according to getdisplaymetrics and the image is quite sharp. Switching it to 140 dpi/density of .875 worked (close to the smallest change I’ve found that works for Roon), but softens the image more than I’d like. Roon continues to look good, other apps are OK. I tried a DPI of 120, that was good in Roon, but fonts are very small in other apps (changing font size at the OS level didn’t help). However, the image is a little crisper.

Given Roon worked in full screen and looks about the same as it does at 120 an 140 dpi, it wonder if a bit more flexibility in the app itself would be advantageous?

However, I have a working solution - thank you, and we’ll see how I get on.

Thanks

Alan

1 Like