Roon remote on Chromebook

I know Roon remote is not officially supported on Chromebook, but remote runs perfectly on my Chromebook, except one thing, and this is the subject of this post.

The only issue is : when I start playing with the Chromebook, when I close the cover of the Chromebook, playing stops !! The playing does not stops when I close the app. Nor when the playing is started on another remote.

I don’t expect this issue to be officially corrected, but does anyone have a trick, insight or advice to address this problem ? Thanks in advance.

The GUI control app and the Roon Server (which does the playing) are two separate applications / processes. So if you close the GUI app, the server continues running on its own. But if you close the cover, the whole Chromebook goes to sleep, including the server.

So you will either have to prevent the Chromebook from sleeping when you close the cover (which, however, means that everything keeps running) or you need a separate computer for the Roon Server.

(This is the same with any other computer, by the way, and not just because the Chromebook is not officially supported)

I have a separate roon server, ROCK on a NUC.

Ah, you didn’t say :slight_smile: Then I have no idea, I guess it must mean that somehow closing it triggers a Pause event in the remote

I guess the Zone you control is also remote (not connected or in any other way dependent on the running Chromebook for playback)?

I use a Chromebook, I just tested this as normally I have closed the app before I close the lid. I left the app open & closed the lid, playback continued, but stopped when I opened the lid again.
Note that I was playing to a seperate end point, not on something attached to the chromebook and I use a VPN that would have been re-connecting when I re-opened the lid, not sure if that had an affect.

I noted but I’m not convinced as I’m sure some poeple would say the same while actually playing wireless over Bluetooth (or ChromeCast) from the local device.

I was using RAAT to a Wiim Pro Plus

1 Like

Yes, indeed. The setup is

• remotes : chromebook, Ipad, smartphone
  • server : ROCK on NUC
  • endpoint : Ropieee on Raspi4