Roon remote with ARC capability

Just wondering if it would be possible to end Roon Arc and instead have a Roon remote that switches over to cellular or other wifi when you leave home. I mean, Arc is showing almost the same info as the remote and the technology of Arc could be implemented in the remote as well. Or are there other reasons to have two apps?

Yes, please read this Roon help center article.

Thanks @Marin_Weigel but what I read there is that plans are to expand Arc with technology that is already available in the remote app (like DSP, etc). I was just curious if there are plans to join those two apps and have it dual use (inside & outside your house).

When ARC was new there was a post by Roon Labs explaining that there are pros and cons to having two apps. E.g, a pro was to be free to develop ARC without the risk of breaking the regular remote and upsetting everyone. In the end it was more or less of a toss-up and they went the separate route, but without ruling out convergence in the future.

1 Like

Looking at all the existing issues now in the remote-app that seemed a wise decision. For me (and I know there are others without the same experience) Arc feels now more solid then remote :wink:

I wouldn’t be surprised if convergence happened over the long term by first adding features and eventually RAAT to ARC, rather than adding remote access capabilities to the main app.