Roon ROCK + HQPlayer + (USB) RME ADI-2 DAC fs

@dabassgoesboomboom

Is this setting included in attached pic, something that will not work in your rig? I am no studio technician myself. The setting you suggested filter settings gave me slightly harsch highs. The ASDM7EC v2 did not work at all, I am afraid. Back to same computer performance issues again. But ASDM7 worked. What is your opinion about the latter and DSD7 + 256fs? What is the actual difference? :slight_smile: Greek to me … The difference in SQ is very subtle and I will not pick it in blint test. For the filter choice, I find the poly-sinc-gauss-xla so calm in the top-end. The same for PCM, while I had the Benchmark DAC-1 (24/192). Sometimes it get me a slight feeling of roll-off in the highs and near to an almost syntheticly controlled treble feeling, but that is in very much of the rock music I listen to, a blessing. What does this filter do. What is your opinion about -xla? I understand the short description in the manual. Is the extremely high attenuation something that keep noise and possible resonances at a very low level in the highs? Or all over the frequency spectra?
Now, I know there is a thread with general filter discussions, but this may perhaps remain our about RME? And I can be the stupid guy asking the questions … :slight_smile:

While at it, people in my hood, not yet seen the light with HQP, ask how an outer recalculating device can alter the sound so much, when most DAC’s have a (inferior) DSP and will upsample any signal coming in and apply the factory filters? Does this section become bypassed if I send a bitstream that are high enough, the DSP will rest? The DAC filters, do they disconnect if they sense a signal from HQP. A film sound technician said to me after listening, first of all that it sounded better that his mix and master rig, but also he said that he sensed that the process he could duplicate by adding intelligent multiband compressor and limiter plug-ins creating a new mastering in real time. I find it a bit to simple, since I many times perceive increased dynamics, not compressed. What do you think? Again, a novel … sorry …
Edit: things should be much easier if pic is enclosed, I guess :joy:

It means that ultrasonic images (digital distortion) are suppressed by over 300 dB, above the cut-off frequency.

1 Like