Roon Rock installing

I searched the forum but could not find an answer:

I have an Intel NUC with 1tb M.2 SSD and 32gb SSD. I want to install Roon on the “normal” SSD and use the 1tb as local music storage.
When starting the installer of Roon Rock, do I get the option to choose on which disk I want to install or will the installer default to the M.2 ssd?

Also, when the option to install to the normal ssd is there, will the install leave the M.2 untouched so all my music is saved? My music is there on a EXT4 partition, can I mount that later to Roon?

Welcome to the forum.
The Rock installer will install the os on the M.2 ssd, it does not give you the option to choose, the rational behind using M.2 ssd is to give fast access to the Roon db, a sata ssd or disk is sufficient for music storage.
I believe the installer formats or at least erases the M.2 ssd as part of the install.

Thank you for the answer! My only option then will be to remove the M.2 and install Roon. Then, after installation is complete, replace the M.2 and mount it as musicstorage?

You are not correct, it allows a choice in some situations.

But the OP should uninstall the m.2 drive at the time of ROCK install, and when that is finished and booting correctly, reinstall the m.2.
That will be the easiest way.

1 Like

Sorry, I do not onderstand the last post. Have Both SSD in the NUC during installation?

No, if you want it simple and clean;
Have only the small SSD physically installed at the time of ROCK install.
When this is finished and the computer boots ROCK correctly, shut it down neatly and then reinstalla the m.2 drive.
The m.2 1Tb will then be visible in the ROCK Configuration page (http://rock/), under internal storage, where you can format and prepare it for use.

But, in many circumstances, Rock allows you a choice on which drive you wish to install the OS. There are situations where this does not happen though.

1 Like

Interesting, if a system was installed as you suggest and then at a future point the ‘Reinstall the operating system’ option on the Rock config page was used would it install to the sata ssd or on seeing both present would it install on the M.2 ssd?

Good question, I hope the reinstall will be so clever to update/reinstall on the original disk used!

The ROCK installer lets you choose on which drive you want to install it, just like any other OS install. It’s on the first screen that pops up. A computer itself does not have any preference. During installation there is nothing happening with the other drive, no need to take it out.
If the other drive is allready formatted in Ext4 it should show up as “Internal Storage” after installation.

I haven’t dare tried that as of yet! :smiley:

I will try it as Nyquist wrote it, I do not care if my music is gone (have backup) and will let you all know how things worked out.
The NUC belongs to a friend of mine, I do not know when he will bring it.

Make sure that before doing any of this, you go into the BIOS and set the SSD to be a higher boot priority than the M.2.

1 Like

Ok, good tip!

That’s only needed if both drives are bootable. It has got nothing to do with choosing on wich drive you install Rock. The computer itself has no preference in this. The installation process formats the chosen drive into a boot drive. Don’t panic over nothing. The only thing you might gain is a speed up in the boot process of 1/10 of a second.

Have you tried this? I have a 6Tb drive formatted in Debian, but it is not defined as Internal Storage and ready for use in a ROCK machine. (ROCK homepage suggest that i format it)

I have done the exact same thing, for a friend. His NUC was acting up and it simply was a PITA to work with. In the end, after countless reboots and attempts to upgrade bios (NUC8i7) i came to the conclusion that the m.2 drive was FUBAR. With a new Samsung Evo 970 it was a walk in the park to put ROCK on the m.2 and format the SSD as storage. However, i did not attempt to reinstall…

Yes, did that, just a couple of days ago. Well actually, the disk was allready there but was formatted in Linux Mint and was recognized by ROCK
Maybe there is a 4tb limit?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.