ROON ROCK with a linear power supply?

Thank you, @Fredrik_Andersson

I have finally managed to migrate my server from a noisy Windows 10 machine to ROCK. My ROCK machine is a NUC7i5BNH, however instead of NUC’s case I opted for an Akasa Newton S7 fanless case. I installed the OS on a 128GB Transcend M.2 SSD, whereas for storage I have opted for a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. The RAM consists of 2x4GB Crucial 2133 modules. Finished the installation last night by myself, and this is how my setup looks now:

Roon core: NUC7i5BNH in a fanless Akasa Newton S7 case, powered by Sbooster BOTW 12v (works without problems for now, but a 19v Sbooster is on the way)
Roon endpoint: dCS Network Bridge
DAC: dCS Paganini
Integrated amp: Gryphon Diablo
Speakers: TAD Micro Evolution 1
Cables: Kubala Sosna Emotion

The main question: is there a difference in sound quality from migrating to a ROCK machine in a fanless case powered by a linear PSU? Oh, YES! The difference is indeed very noticeable, primarily in terms of dramatically lowered noise floor, easier and more relaxed flow to the music and the absence of digital glare of any kind. This in turn manifests itself as increased clarity, spaciousness and focus, with much better defined instruments. It’s not a cheap project by any means (NUC + Akasa + 1TB SSD + Sbooster = over 1200€), but it sounds and works great. I am using a cheap Amazon USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter for providing internet connection to ROCK, whereas the endpoint is connected directly to the LAN input of the NUC (the famous “bridged” connection).

Kudos to the Roon team for making this happen!

2 Likes