ROON ROCK with a linear power supply?

I measured my NUC7i5 today it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

19Vdc average 0.57A (10,83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up.

I have not measured amp usage during a scan for example but if all cores are being used during a library scan I suppose we can see constant use high as peak is in my test.

1 Like

How would you (or anyone else) compare a fanless NUC with LPS to a NAA like say SOtM SMS200 or similar?

Thank you for the me measurements!

The peak rating for the Sbooster BOTW 18-19v (when the switch is set at 19) is 19v/1.75A
The peak rating for the Sbooster BOTW 12-13.2v (when the switch is set at 12) is 12v/3A

According to your measurements, the Sbooster 12v should be up to it.

However, apart from the internal M.2 SSD and a 2.5” SSD, I will also be utilizing a USB-ethernet converter. Not sure what the consumption of the adapter will be (shouldn’t exceed 3W), but I will definitely try it.

And another thing, could you please measure again, but this time with upsampling? I am specifically interested in redbook to DSD64 upsampling and the respective consumption. Thanks!

It seems that the product you mentioned cannot host a Roon Core and thus should not be compared to a NUC. You may compare NUC to Roon Nucleus for the purpose of running ROCK.

Anything can be compared to anything though :slight_smile: I interpret the question as: how would you compare a fanless NUC direct to DAC vs a general purpose computer -> NAA -> DAC. A very subjective question, but certainly it can be asked.

What I meant was how the sound quality compares between the different choise of endpoints: a fanless NUC with lps (like the Sbooster) vs a NAA like the Sms 200 or a Allo USBridge.

I will be able to comment on that by the end of this week (hopefully) after I migrate Roon from a noisy general purpose Windows 10 machine to a fanless NUC with the Sbooster linear PSU. In both cases, the Roon endpoint will be my dCS Network Bridge. So this will strictly be a Roon Core comparison and whether optimizing the core (in terms of moving from Windows 10 to the lightweight Linux ROCK) and adding a linear PSU affects the sound in a scenario where a fine endpoint is used.

I have a NUC7i5 running ROCK
I also have a “spare” Linear power supply; KECES DC-116 Rated at 12v/ 3 amps.

I have been debating if this could be used

Keen to see your results .

I won’t be using the 12v version after all, I will keep it on my Netgear switch. I bought a 19v Sbooster for the NUC.

If you search for DC-116 you’ll find @MusicEar is using it.

Shure I can do that no problem. I will see if I can do that later this evening.

Here are the amps runing DSD 64

19V 0.68A
15V 0.80A
12V 0.95A

This is average the peak is the same as before during start-up. But the amps fluctuate more runing upsampling to DSD than just 16/44.1.

Thank you, @Fredrik_Andersson

I have finally managed to migrate my server from a noisy Windows 10 machine to ROCK. My ROCK machine is a NUC7i5BNH, however instead of NUC’s case I opted for an Akasa Newton S7 fanless case. I installed the OS on a 128GB Transcend M.2 SSD, whereas for storage I have opted for a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. The RAM consists of 2x4GB Crucial 2133 modules. Finished the installation last night by myself, and this is how my setup looks now:

Roon core: NUC7i5BNH in a fanless Akasa Newton S7 case, powered by Sbooster BOTW 12v (works without problems for now, but a 19v Sbooster is on the way)
Roon endpoint: dCS Network Bridge
DAC: dCS Paganini
Integrated amp: Gryphon Diablo
Speakers: TAD Micro Evolution 1
Cables: Kubala Sosna Emotion

The main question: is there a difference in sound quality from migrating to a ROCK machine in a fanless case powered by a linear PSU? Oh, YES! The difference is indeed very noticeable, primarily in terms of dramatically lowered noise floor, easier and more relaxed flow to the music and the absence of digital glare of any kind. This in turn manifests itself as increased clarity, spaciousness and focus, with much better defined instruments. It’s not a cheap project by any means (NUC + Akasa + 1TB SSD + Sbooster = over 1200€), but it sounds and works great. I am using a cheap Amazon USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter for providing internet connection to ROCK, whereas the endpoint is connected directly to the LAN input of the NUC (the famous “bridged” connection).

Kudos to the Roon team for making this happen!

2 Likes

No problem @AmusedTD :slight_smile:

You run a system that looks a bit like mine but I have not tried the direct connection to my Sotm SMS Ultra.

I run both my NUC and endpoint via a Netgear GS 108 modded according to John Swenson at Computer audiophile.

Have you tried both connection via switch VS. direct to endpoint?

My system is Sotm SMS Ultra to TAD D1000mk2 dac, TAD M2500mk2 amplifier and TAD CE-1 speakers.

Great to hear, and thank you very much for sharing your impressions. What still is on my mind though is the question if there’s any need for a streamer or NAA as an endpoint, or if the fanless NUC with a linear power supply is an “all in one”-solution, in the same league soundwise. A minimalistic setup is very tempting, but I don’t want to compromise the sound quality to much.

Thanks for these numbers. I have a 7i5 on the way and planning on powering it with my existing 12v 5A 100VA LPS. I do have an HDPLEX that has 19v and a variable output but would rather keep thing as they are now (the 12v LPS currently powering my old(er) Vortexbox. Will test and report back. Just bought my lifetime membership - exciting stuff!

Nuc 7i5 set up with ROCK and a 12v linear power supply. Sounds phenomenal - better than the previous Atom based Vortexbox and way better than the 2013 Mac Pro I was running core on for the trial (though I think it was a bit zippier but it had better be for 10x the cost). Seems to run cool and fan noise not a problem as it’s in the office closet. Very happy though hiccup migrating the backup so just started over again.

Charles, what linear ps exactly you’re running?

BR
Rainer

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-100VA-12V-6A-Low-Noise-R-core-DC-LPS-Linear-Power-Supply-display/322109337787?hash=item4aff3670bb:g:ka4AAOSwve5XOFYu

See Rule 1 here:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

Also check out Roon Ready players as a different kind of “all in one” solution.