ROON ROCK with a linear power supply?

Thanks. Yep, pretty clear the designers urge me (who already have a NUC) to invest in some kind of separate endpoint to get the best out of ROON, before I invest in an LPS for the NUC. Still interesting though to read the reports of LPS impact.

Has anyone tried a active power factor correcting, tightly load regulated SMPS? Iā€™m going to tomorrow when it arrives. I have Ethernet connected end-points already. Plan to power 40w Dell 790 running ROCK along with every other 5V gadget in the rack, Roku, copper to fiber transceiversā€¦if nothing else, I can remove/clean up a few power connections.

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

Does NUC need regulated power supply or nonregulated linear power supply is enough?

Iā€™d go for a fixed voltage supply so regulated or having sufficient head room that PSU would operate in its linear range, i.e. no change in voltage when the current drawn varies.

2 Likes

ā€¦ and Iā€™ve used unregulated without issues. But then, I havenā€™t A/B/X tested it, so I donā€™t know what Iā€™m missing. :slight_smile:

Recently I have been developing radio enhancers and using data links with FMCā€™s, guess what, the noise introduced by FMC in the 812 - 813 MHZ bands is way more and powerful than ethernet, if you can get access to a spectrum analyzer you can confirm this yourself, and not only a specific frequency but the entire noise floor goes up for 20/30 dbm, the single frequency goes up 40/60 dbm
if you want to use fiber with low EMI cheap ubiquity routers with ubiquity SFPā€™s will do better, for some reason this equipment have better shielding than others, I tried like 15 manufacturers including TPlink and Trendnet with no success.
Iā€™m not saying this will affect the music although it possibly will, Iā€™m just saying that fiber contrary to what we may think may introduce more noise due to the oscillator on the FMC

1 Like

Completely agree. I no longer use FMCs

And so it goes on and on and on. The holy grail one day is the Devil on the next day. Nothing new, have heard it so many times before and it will never ever stop. Although it allready takes a pretty long time before people start to realize that most linear psuā€™s are in fact worse then a good (no not the chinese wallwart crap) smps supply. But it will come, just a matter of time.

The problem is identifying the good ones. I have the iFi one and it is OK, better than what it replaced and others can be identified as good when someone takes the time to measure them. But they can vary massively in quality regardless of their country of origin! So the assurance of spending a lot, sometimes unnecessarily is understandable.

So if I am running a 7i7BNH the Sbooster PS will not be sufficient? Which PS would one recommend ?
Thanks

what is the benefit of linear power supply if NUC by itself use switching regulators ?

1 Like

I think Roon is coming out with a linear PSU for Nucleus.

@brian, have Roon done measurements to show the technical benefits?

The effects of noise are cumulative, and a well designed PSU of any type should deliver good isolation both from and to mains borne noise. My personal view is it only matters if the device feeds a DAC direct and that is one of the ways Nucleus is meant to be used.

I got a HDPlex for my NUC, now use it for my Nucleus.
Everything is great, but I canā€™t speak to improvement, didnā€™t compare.
It bigger and much heavier than the Nucleus.

I purchase an sbooster for my Nuc, and it did make a difference, then after sometime listening i installed an IFI Usb3 and IFI usb cables i had used previously before the NUC, this made even more difference in sq,
So for me linear psuā€™s do work.

sbooster have that CLC filter at the end of the cable near the connector
I think this is the key point

Use the Roon Rock facility if thats possible in your case. A real sound upgrade. W10 compared with ROON Rock sounds ,restless, because its working in the background all the timeā€¦

All operating systems are ā€˜ā€¦working in the background all the timeā€¦ā€™.

Hi Tom,

Iā€™am using ROCK on my Nuc since the beginning of this year in combination with a Auralic Aries G2. Sounds great!

Cheers from the Netherlands, Huite

Fijn te horen Huite, Glad to hear it! I had the samebexperience!!