Roon RoPieee DSD Distorted

Sometime when I play DSD through ropieee I get distorted sound. It doesn’t seem to happen with volumio. Is anyone familiar with this? My dac is a pro-jest pre box s2. I would prefer to use Ropieee since it is just for Roon.

Do you have some more information?

What kinda device you use for RoPieee? At which DSD rate is this happening?
I assume you drive the Pro-ject device using USB. Can you send feedback?

Yes. Seems to occur during playback of DSD 64 and DSD 128. I am using USB out on a Raspberry Pi 3b to the Pro-Ject DAC. The sound is distorted beyond recognition. It doesn’t happen all the time sometimes it goes back to playing normally after a few track changes.

Are you using ethernet or WiFi? Raspberry pi 3 is a bit limited as the network and usb shares the same bus. This CAN be related to this.

Using ethernet 1000Mbs

It did it on Volumio as well. But hasn’t done it on the MacBook. I think it could be the DAC

is this related to DSD only? What happens when you stream PCM at 384k for example?

Yes it works with 384k. The sound is a Sort of fizzling noise like someone shook up a coke and the fizz sound was amplified.

Changing to DSD over PCM seems to fix the problem

Well you went around the problem. Looks like there is no native DSD support in the kernel?

It does Native DSD but there is a problem with it:

Something to do with the kernels?

1 Like

Yes support for native DSD comes from the kernel in linux.
Funny because I thought this was address some time ago in the kernel. I know MoOde Audio address this in their custom OS and there is no issues with native DSD, so I know the kernel supports it.

We’re talking about different things here.

Native DSD support means that the Linux kernel is capable of sending DSD in it’s raw format to the USB DAC. Indeed that requires support from the kernel and I’ve created those patches multiple times.

However, it’s a binary thing: either the kernel supports it and sends the DSD data to the USB DAC, or it’s not supported and in that case you’re not even able to select ‘native DSD’ in Roon. This results in the data being send via DoP (DSD over PCM).

So in this case it’s not about if the kernel supports it or not. If you can select native DSD in Roon then the kernel supports it for this DAC, period.

The issue of the distortion is something else. Could be that the DAC USB (firmware) has issues, could also be something else in the transport.

@John_A_Leighton can you send me feedback so I can have a look in the logs?

I will also contact John Westlake about this.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @spockfish

I have sent the log it says in RoPieee:

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier ca70788448e9f287

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

The logs look good wrt to DSD (as I already suspected).

However, it reports on multiple occassions that there’s an ‘USB over-current’.
Which suggests the attached device (tries to) draw too much current. Not sure if this could be the problem, but it’s not good…

Regards,

Thanks @spockfish

I don’t know what wrt to DSD means can you explain? I am running the dac from the usb because I thought the two power supplies into the dac that I was originally using may have been causing the issue. I am using a 2.1amp power supply for the Raspberry Pi. I will put back the second power supply. I think it’s really smart that you can just transfer the logs with a single press of a button, very clever.

What I meant that everything related to DSD is ok as I explained in a few posts earlier.

Is there anyway to check the log file myself to see if there is still a over-current issue?