Roon’s handling of 1.6 Feedback

As Dave Wyner famously said a long, long time ago, “We Make Shitty Software … With Bugs.” All of us who code or manage software projects, all the time. Even when we try our best.

Back when I started in this both blessed and cursed craft, in college a long time ago in a far away place, I was helping civil engineers debug their failing structural engineering programs. Instinctively, what I would always tell them – to their eye rolling for that display of “arrogance” from a young whippersnapper who could not define elastic vs plastic deformation – was something like what @brian asked you: show me specific examples – input/output, code lines – not theories of what is going on that is unexpected. To their surprise and eventual gratitude, and thanks to many cups of espresso, a dialogue about specific cases was the way that their sometimes subtle bugs were found (in the process, I saw some of the most horrific code I’ve ever encountered).

All to say that, your specific examples are good fodder for the Roon developers, but your pontification about design and process totally unhelpful. I’ve been in the business for over 40 years, and I’ve never seen that attitude bear any fruit, especially because everybody who is involved in software development makes mistakes and creates bugs. Casting first stones and all that.

22 Likes