Roon screen resolution

@support

one month into my roon membership and enjoying the experience very much. i’m currently using a chord mojo with optical cable to imac and oppo pm1 headphones. for now this is great.

i’m hoping to upgrade to a chord dave dac next year and i have been advised i will get better results by connecting the dac to a battery powered laptop rather than a mains powered desktop. the problem is that my mac air only has a screen resolution of 1440 by 900 which makes roon viewing lack lustre compared to the 27 inch imac which is 2560 by 1440. the chord dave functions at its best without any usb tweaks or bridges etc ie direct to mac.

until i can upgrade my laptop to one with a high screen resolution similar to a retina display which i will then use as roon core will it be possible for me to use my imac 27 screen to browse roon whilst simultaneously using my mac air connected to the dac also with roon running? i would play tunes on the mac air and just use the imac for browsing ie no playback on two devices at once.

finally is it possible to connect a ipad pro running roon to a dac and use the ipad pro to play music or an android tablet in the same way? many thanks mohab

something just came to mind which would solve the problem. is it possible to control the mac air running roon from my imac desktop which has core on it? so here by wifi i presume?

A Mac laptop can be both a control point and an endpoint. I can have one laptop connected to a DAC and control Roon with that laptop or another laptop or an IOS device. However, IOS devices cannot be endpoints like Android devices.

As a matter of best practices, imho, I would not put Roon Server or Core on any computer that was not Ethernet connected. Especially, if the music was stored somewhere else on the network.

Thanks Daniel,

would my imac acting as roon core (with wired ethernet) be able to control a macair laptop acting as remote? so the imac would communicate with the mac air wirelessly enabling me to exploit the high res imac screen until i can afford to upgrade my laptop which here would be connected to the chord dave dac. thanks again mohab this may even save me the cost of a new laptop.

here i get to use a battery powered laptop as source for the dac maximising performance of the dac while still enjoying the benefits of a large 27 imac screen?

Hi @mohab_hassan ----- Thank you for the post(s)! In regard to your most recent:

"would my imac acting as roon core (with wired ethernet) be able to control a macair laptop acting as remote? "

Yes, this configuration will work. I am using a NUC (with ROCK) as my core and have a MacBook Air and MacBook acting as remote devices. As you can see from the screenshots taken of my MacBook Air, I have full control of all of my devices and the DACs attached to them:

MacBook Aire Remote:
52 PM

ROCK Core
03 PM

MacBook Pro Remote
11 PM

-Eric

1 Like

HI ERIC,

i take it the roon core NUC does not need to be physically connected to the laptop remotes macair and macpro in order to have full control over them? it would only work for me if the core could exercise full control over the laptop remotes wirelessly which i guess would have to be wifi? thanks mohab

Hi @mohab_hassan ----- The NUC does not need to be physically connected to the mentioned remote devices in order for the remotes to control ROCK. However, all three devices (NUC, MBA, and MBP) must be on the same network in order to communicate.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

you mention specifically “for the remotes to control ROCK”. i actually need it the other way round ie for my imac core to control the remote laptop wirelessly for the reasons already stated. would this work if they are are on the same network?

thanks mohab