Roon Search Overhauled [2021-12]

I don’t know about listening habits but clearly some properties. I suppose that the Mission of Burma track is the top result for me for “revolver” because of something having to do with having the album with the track in the library plus having rated the album with 5 stars and a heart. Maybe number of plays as well

It appears the heart makes a big difference. I put a heart on the Revolver album in my library and searched again for Revolver (with the Revolver album page open lol) and lo and behold, Revolver is number 2 in the list.

Sorry. I will try to remember never to bother you by trying to be helpful again.

That’s your opinion when you search for something in your library. Somebody else might prefer to see new stuff when they search for something (in particular as filter exists for the local stuff), or even yourself in a different search. As I already said above, Roon cannot know what you or anyone prefers in any given search. So the library button is there to give it a hint. Does not seem crazy to me.

You might disagree and may always prefer library first. That’s fine, but not everyone has this same preference and expectation. Maybe the existing library button could be made sticky - and only make it so that library results are sorted first, maybe with another tab or something for new, non-library results. Maybe that could be more satisfying for either persuasion.

That is indeed a problem, but not the same one.

As I explained in my above example, the search result for Revolver that I get is pretty good. For me it also showed the Beatles as the first album in the album list. If it had not been there at all, like for some people, I would have not considered it a good thing, though. In addition, it found the top result that means most to me in the context of revolver, so that’s also good. Other hits are unknown to me, but the mix of known and unknown was OK, and the world would be a boring place if all we found was always something known.

I agree that it is clearly an issue that the quality of results differs so much between different people.

EDIT: Regarding the Beatles album, maybe the difference is caused by me having set the album to “Pick” manually, which it is not by default

Do make a note of my name and stop answering my posts if you like. I’m sure you have a lot of work to do here.

I don’t agree with much of your answering my post so I’m going to leave it there but I want you to know it’s not because I agree with you or think you have a valid point. More that you seem keen to defend a search feature that I am thoroughly disappointed in for reasons I’ve made very clear.

Alright, gents, let’s all be friends and play nice. Sound good? Excellent!

7 Likes

I think this is actually a great suggestion, seems like a fair few people use the search for their library (even though the filter is WAY faster on the album’s view).

3 Likes

They would sound good if I could find them :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Even choosing library only I still don’t get the album as top choice . I get the track Revolver by Hooverphonics

1 Like

Very different results here

Mine looks a lot more like yours.

So how do I achieve that from search and why does the same software produce such wildly differing results?

1 Like

Before I added the The Beatles Revolver album

After I added it

Yeah, I understand that people get different results and some are bad. As suggested, maybe the difference is because I have a “Pick” on the Beatles album, which I did manually

Search is not working for me today. Is this because I haven’t installed the latest update?

Another Roon update with absolutely no improvement in the (still badly broken) search function. Do I really need to worry about AI taking over the world, when AI can’t even do a proper search?

1 Like

working now

That’s the problem with the whole AI bandwagon, a lot of it is artificial only. There are notable exceptions but much of it is simply algorithmic with a bit of fuzzy logic here and there. Artificial is easy, intelligence not so much…

2 Likes

Which Valence is a good example of.

1 Like