Roon Search Overhauled [2021-12]

Can’t you set a primary version for each album (which is respected except in Roon Radio, methinks)?

I have already but search will show you this streaming version in the search as primary when you go to it it’s not my version. Mine is below the one shown. I think it’s because I grouped them and
Perhaps it’s a different release but it should still find mine and play it which it doesn’t.

After I hit play it plays Tidals version

I go to mine then I can see it’s primary.

But I think I solved this by removing the one it pulled up. So maybe it was a version grouped that caused it. But it should bring up my version from a group surely.

Doesn’t happen for me. Search for the Purge & Slouch album that I have in my library both as local files and Qobuz:

Clicking on that in the search menu, Roon navigates to the Primary version in my library:

It’s for some and trying to work out why. It seems that it’s grouping of a different release of the same album is causing it to choose that one release that’s not matching mine. Which means I am going to have undo a lot of my grouping, which is a pain. What’s the point of being able to group alt versions together if that group doesn’t behave like it should with my version as primary. I think that the version in my library from Tidal has also been replaced as now after I grouping it and searching I only see one Tidal album before 2 came up. So looks to be Roons inability to clean up removed grouped albums.

Hmmm. I think the album I used is manually grouped as well (original and reissue) though I can’t remember 100% and don’t want to undo it :slight_smile: I’ll see if I come across another one where I am sure I grouped it

What exactly is the difference between a “version” and a “group”? I can see in my library that sometimes different versions are also in the same group but not always. Is this effecting the way that primary versions are returned in search lists?

I wondered about this as well and am not entirely sure but I believe groups are created when you manually group albums, as opposed to auto-recognized versions. IIRC in my example above, the reissue (orange cover) and the original release (brown bear) showed up as two different albums. (Different number of tracks and the reissue album title also differed by default, having “25th anniversary edition” in the title). So I manually grouped them IIRC.

It did in may case, but it seemed that my group for some reason had 2 versions from Tidal, yet only one exists in their library. I think this is Roons problem when a service completely removes a version or replaces it and it’s been manually grouped. This seems to explain this as I had to ungroup that version it kept using, then removed it from my library. It now finds my version. You also can’t delete a version that’s been added to a group annoyingly, Roon just plain refuses to you have to ungroup it then delete it. Drives me mad. They really need to start from scratch again on their library management as it’s full of oddities like this.

2 Likes

Yeah a redesign has to happen at some point. AFAIK the design came before streaming services were added. Most annoyingly for me, if you made metadata edits to a streaming version and it is removed by the service, you get to redo the edits in the new version all over again

:joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting, mine differ and all in all make much sense for me

Top of albums for me but not the top choice overall.

Space at top of screen for predefined sticky filters to be applied please add this rather than have to scroll and click more.

Same result with revolver here. Not on the first list but top album in the following screen.

If it was funny I’d call it a joke.

I’m not sure how it prioritises tracks from Revolver without prioritising the album itself. Trying to be too clever I suspect.

1 Like

If I search for ‘revolver,’ the top result is a track by Mark Lanegan. I’ll admit to listening to some Lanegan lately, but to me it should always be the Beatles album. But perhaps this is pointing to how Valence might be tied into search, and is messing up results.

1 Like

I disagree. I have Beatles’s Revolver in the library and it’s an important album, but in the context of my library and listening, the Mission of Burma track that I have as the top result is much more meaningful and it’s the track that comes to my mind when I hear the word “revolver”

When I type revolver I get 8 results in the list that mean less than nothing to me. They’re not even in my library.

I would weight the chances of me looking for something in my library by a percentage if I was trying to make a clever search function.

It’s also not returning any results that are simply ‘revolver’, that’s the crazy part. In this scenario the album I have in my library called revolver should surely trump any other results that are not exact matches.

The is a complication that is probably difficult to address. It’s not clear whether a search intends to find something new with that term or something know from the library.

It would be nice if a clever way addressed this automatically (though I don’t know how), but in the meantime, the Library button next to the search button on the results page only shows results from the library:

This seems reasonable to me. Alternatively, the filter on My Albums, My Artists, etc., always brings up library-only hits

I’m getting Mark too. But I’ve also been listening to the Beatles.

But is the idea that the Search is individualized by are listening habits?

I’d still like search to have ability to select what looking for album, band or track either with dropdown or selection buttons below. And of course have fuzzy logic to help with my bad spelling.

I’m aware of the library feature. I’ve used Roon enough to know my experience of the search feature are based on it’s performance not my failure to understand the os.

If you have a search function which searches both the library and streaming sources and finds a match in the library that should be prefered on the first page. Especially if you are then going to ignore the direct match that also exists online and provide a number of indirect matches that bear no relation to listening habits or library content.

There is nothing smart about the results I’m getting from search. Of course I can eventually find things but come on, examples given here about revolver are ridiculous. It should never be on the second page, it’s an internationally recognised multi platinum album that has just had a major reissue.

1 Like