Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

So just to be sure I understand. You changed the system architecture so that when a 2.0 user searches for a name the user can click the top item on the list instead of moving the mouse down 3 or 4 lines to click the last item on the list. And in doing this you will also be collecting many more metrics on our use of Roon and our library. Which in turn will allow you to try to predict what they want and push to them to the top of the list in the future (which may force users to click further down the list if it not what they wanted). In exchange for this you killed Roons ability to play off line. However, if someone downloads 50 albums on Arc and the internet goes down they can play that local library of 50 files without a problem. But thanks to the great new search architecture that gives you a lot more metrics, if I have a downloaded library already in Roon and the internet goes down I can’t play my library at all. And you think this means things have gotten better. Wow.

12 Likes

^ It might hurt, but there’s a bunch of truth in that - at least in this layman’s perception.

4 Likes

John Lennon makes it into the second line of artists.

Yes, I can see him there.

I was quite surprised to see roon linking number of plays to search. I know that when I am searching it is usually for more obscure / less played stuff (to me) that I cannot find by other means. More played stuff I usually get to with recently added, recently played, tags, playlists, and various album, artist and composition filters.

I wonder what the rankings would look like when the criteria is number of searches, rather than number of plays? Just a thought.

Personally, I am not expecting much when typing in common first names and would prefer that roon assume that I have started by typing the second name even with a name like John. It is not difficult to get to Lennon by typing just “lenn”. He is at the top of my list just squeaking past Annie Lennox and Lenny Kravitz which TBH would be preferred search results for me personally.

2 Likes

Is this the reason why Roon search stopped working for me?! I get the message: “can’t connect to Roon search”. It basically made Roon useless for me since I can only play tracks which are already on any of my playlists (Tidal).

1 Like

Is it not working for any searches at all? Most reporting problems are getting an unpredictable experience. It works on some searches but not on others. Can you post an example that fails?

In a bit of defence, we must keep positive and provide real life examples of Search shortfalls, unspecific moaning won’t help @zenit identify where the shortfalls are.

I openly admit I am badly disappointed with search and hope the back end updates happen quickly , fortunately changes without a public release.

I have sneakier ways round so search isn’t my only tool but is still an essential to be working 110%

Keep feeding the examples :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@brian Great to see search evolving. One of the biggest problems has been that not 100% correctly typed search terms didn’t provide results. Has there been some kind of fuzzy logic been implemented in the meantime to better cope with that search scenario? Which very much happens on tablets / mobile ROON app where typos happen very easily.

For example searching „dance on vasiline“ so just one single character is different from the correct one doesn’t show the right entry at all:

and it should actually display results like

1 Like

That sounds like a network issue. Open a new support thread.

Yes, to a degree, mainly for cases like this one (someone posted this one in the old thread). There’s plenty of development planned in this area.

Glad to hear there is plenty of improvement coming - which is really needed as in the amazingly big music libraries one single character so easily get’s twisted/wrong.
Any idea why it’s not working already in my very simple example as mentioned above?

At the moment, if there is a word that doesn’t match it will be ignored completely. Results matching all the words you’ve entered should still appear higher in most cases.

If I may, I humbly suggest that someone’s home music software should never display “Can’t connect to Roon Search.” This is a terrible experience especially for local collection owners.

If Roon can’t connect, it really should do something else. There should be a simple backup search for local usage.

If it’s not that Roon can’t connect (and I have found Roon’s error messages to be misleading), then it could say “searching…”

I really mean never.

*Footer: I love Roon; use it all the time every day. Sometimes I find the Roon team’s development decisions befuddling.

15 Likes

That would have been me. Thx!

Thanks for the update Brian! is there any possibility of being able to run an instance of this cloud server locally on premises? likely in a container on a local server. Also is there a way to toggle personalized results on or off?

Again, really appreciate all the work you and the team are putting into making Roon a better product

Cheers!

thanks, that was pretty articulate

It can’t and probably won’t. With Roon 2 there is an always connected requirement, no internet, no play.

I suspect it actually means a “null” result , if that’s the case it should say so

Isn’t that what Roon is trying to get away from.

If I read it correctly the code required to perform search “in the cloud” is too complex/resource demanding to run on a normal Roon Core instance hence the furor about moving search to the cloud and the "always on " internet debate.

Some users may have the computing Horse Power to do this but the whole ROCK/NUC/Nucleus appliance approach means a common code base on a fairly low key computer , sufficient to run the normal code bit not such complex search algorithms.

I don’t know how true that is, searching a local database with ~500k entries is simple enough.

2 Likes