Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

One of the search issue that I have is that the system does not always show all of the results. For example, if I type Wagner in the albums window and lets say 10 albums show up, and I delete one or combine a couple of them into the same album and do the search again, all of a sudden it finds another Wagner album that it did not show during the initial search. This can happen multiple times in a row.

At other times, when I type the name of the album that I am looking at in the search window, it will say that no albums were found. If I do the same search multiple times, at times it will find it, and at times it never will. I really hope they are working on a global search fix.

1 Like

Same for me as well Jez. I have reported missing albums on Qobuz many times and raised a ticket for it as yet unresolved no doubt closed. You could not for love not money search or find them under the artist. Go to Qobuz and add them they popped up and could then be searched. I do think there is some major issues with the underlying sync of databases from services. That does not help the finicky search. I understand delayed albums but ones that ndont show up at all shows this dumping method they use doesn’t work as well as the API.

1 Like

It’s in her Discography - just not in the Main Albums section, because “They Never Leave Their Wives” is categorised as an EP, since it has a running time of 23 minutes.

So if it isn’t an album, why is it in “Recommended Albums”, under “Albums”?!

1 Like

My guess would be that it’s because there’s no ‘Recommended EPs’ section. Possibly the ‘Recommended Albums’ section should be renamed to ‘Recommended Releases’?

Michael

1 Like

Yeah, there is always some convoluted reason why Roon search does what it does.

Bottom line, it shouldn’t be so hard finding the music one wants. One shouldn’t have to take a masters class in Roon Search Work Arounds to use it effectively.

The latest search bungle for me; searched for University of Michigan Men’s Glee Club. In Roon, just some appearances on Mannheim Steamroller’s albums. Using the Qobuz app, a couple albums (not new releases) came up right away. It’s not unusual for Roon to miss albums available on Qobuz.

7 Likes

Did/does as of now not work with the new album of Lorde. Good reason for me to purchase the album and add to my library. Making it favorite in the Qobuz app did not change to show it in the Qobuz tab ‘My Qobuz’ under favorites. Something is causing delays, let’s see tomorrow if the album gets added or …

That’s because it’s not in Roonas database yet. That’s common for new releases that drop late they usually appear a few days later than release. I am on about older titles that are in Qobuz, can’t find them via Roon you have to add them via Qobuz and they sync fine, so the issue is Roons search engine not bringing them up for some reason. With new releases they won’t sync as they don’t exist in Roons database yet.

3 Likes

I found this search… probably because the web server’s search algorithm isn’t the same as the Roon app, and therefore it actually works!

Sorry, perhaps that’s a bit harsh…. but not really. I’ve searched every word combo I can think of to look up Bob Seger’s “We’ve Got Tonight” but the app refused to find it. Search on Qobuz, Spotify, Google, etc…. comes up on the first try. It’s not a new song, but it’s far from an obscure song. If the search algorithm can’t figure this out then how can we trust it to recommend other songs?

I don’t want to be the guy who threatens to pull his sub over every little thing. But the O.P. and many others are not overstating this: search absolutely HAS TO WORK. Makes it hard to demonstrate to friends how awesome and clear my music sounds when I can’t actually get to it. And do I even need to mention the W.A.F.?

Please, Roon. You can do better than this.

8 Likes

For me it was fifth down on the search box list and I only needed to type ‘we’ve got’ before it appeared as a Tidal track on the ‘Stranger in Town’ album (not in my library). I totally agree that Search is a key feature and has to work much better and reliably for all users.

The song is in my library (in a Bob Seger Greatest Hits album) but that isn’t the one Roon search took me to (another issue in itself).

1 Like

I just tried this, and no matches were found in the filter on the Bob Seger discography page. Even with the album containing the song open. No Matches found.
If I search Bob Seger We’ve Got Tonight from the home page… Kenny Rogers, We’ve Got Tonight, is the first hit. Bob Seger and the silver Bullet band Live is the third in the list.
It’s not easy if you don’t know where to find the song…

3 Likes

On Discography it won’t show on Albums view as that only filters on album text. Change filter View to ‘Recordings’ and it is first hit

Just fix it already. This is getting old!!

1 Like

I think we can pretty much take it the Roon folk know the search is, well, not performing as intended - so instead I’m using this thread to see what everyone is listening too… :blush:

Fascinating, especially the artists not widely know in say the UK or US, so much music out there… if you can find it of course! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[Sigh]

I sense this is a waste of time, but here goes -

I enter ‘Islands’ in the Search field and get this returned -

I select ‘Islands by King Crimson’ and get this -

Huh, I know I have a local rip of it and sure enough -

Ok, I search on King Crimson and get this -

Hmm, maybe I also have a Qobuz copy and that is screwing things up -

Nope, the local rip is the only version in my library and it’s on the ROCK internal drive -

Right where I expect it to be -

This is what happens when a summer intern is tasked with writing critical code.

@support, there are almost 300 posts in this thread. Ever look at any of them?

4 Likes

The ‘this album was not found’ issue is repeatable, just found another one impacted. But how do I fix it? Something I need to do or wait for Roon to fix something?

It seems, the fix for most problems with Search is to know where something is before you search for it.

3 Likes

But knowing the ‘where’ is of limited use without Folder view…No not asking for it, but the search issues have driven me to use workarounds to find stuff (tagging and some reorganisation of Watched Folders).

1 Like

it’s always in the last place you look for it.

1 Like

I’ve just searched for ‘River Runs Red’ by Life of Agony.

It came up as the 50th album in the list, whilst the ‘top 6’ results for album came up as:

The River (Bruce Springsteen)
An Innocent Man/River of Dreams (Billy Joel)
Body & Soul (Coleman Hawkins)
Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (Duke Ellington/Coleman Hawkins, surprisingly enough)
Weezer (Weezer)
B.o.B Presents The Adventures of Bobby Ray (B.o.B.)

4 of those albums don’t even have ‘River’ ‘Runs’ or ‘Red’ in any of their song titles, let alone the album names, and the only reason I can think of for Weezer being in the top 6 hits is because the singer is called Rivers Cuomo. Although there are no other Weezer albums from 1-49, and the only other album with anything approaching the searched words in that range is Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run.