Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

806 destroyed the mediocre search function - It has been said that nothing was changed, that could have caused this. But it happened. It is a fact and the many posts in this thread since the 806 update show, that SEARCH got even worse. (I actually thought this was not possible)

I personally do not trust it anymore - the results are vage or simply wrong and NEVER complete. So exploring my music has become rather difficult. Was this not supposed to be Roons main attraction?
Guess it all a use case, if one is happy being told by Roon what to listen to and not the album you actually searched, then Roon is great.

Sure it was stated that fixing would take time - but come on this is an absolute top priority.
Also ignoring the fact that whatever was done in 806 either in the code or on the server at Roon, has made it much worse.

Do you really believe that all the people posting just suddenly started posting so many examples - just for the fun of it? It is since SEARCH got much worse - and not because it is just as bad as it always was.

7 Likes

Build 795.
Finds your album as no 3

1 Like

This seems to prove my point. 795 did not suck as much as releases past 806.

Glad this was posted. Thanks

2 Likes

I will never upgrade then. Hopefully I can avoid doing it by mistanke . Any way to roll back if an new build is bad?

If Roon does not fix this stupid “ search “ I want my money back

4 Likes

Searching for the group The Cure. Tidal has their albums. But Roon doesn’t even know they exist.

1 Like

Have you tried searching for “Cure” rather than “The Cure”?

That does lead to the right group… but this is a workaround, not a cure… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Agreed. The odd thing is that you can type “The C” and search picks up The Cure. Once you search “The Cu” you get no results. Definitely not working as it should.

EDIT: The 4 letter approach only appears to work sometimes.

1 Like

Roon Search cannot find my local copy of Jurassic Park soundtrack (ripped from a CD; Roon shows it as identified). It only finds the Qobuz version (20th Anniversary version) I have saved. The local copy doesn’t show under “Versions” either.

Roon search is so frustrating! :confounded:

1 Like

Only one there biggest Alternative artists ever! I really think we have all given enough examples of how broken search really is. Worryingly since this thread started its got worse with updates not any better. They really have to pull thier finger out on this and it should be a priority over any more updates adding features. The lack of input on this issue is also not great.

The whole point of having a search in a library system is to easily find the music you want to listen to without manually browsing or folder browsing. This is a primary feature of Roon in my eyes and needs immediate attention not a sticking plaster it needs serious reworking to bring it up to the standards of just streaming services. We should all be able to find the track or album we want to play with out all this hassle.

7 Likes

Searching for My Favourite Things (you know, the rather famous song), gives this:

4 Likes

I’m getting frustrated when I search for a track or artist, Roon briefly shows exactly what I’m after but before I can select, a whole bunch of other results flood the page and I’m left scouring the page for my desired result - endlessly frustrating!

5 Likes

If you scroll down to Compositions, the first link takes you to 103 versions of that song…

1 Like

Yep it’s highly frustrating.

Thanks @Virtuoso
That’s helpful but given that there are over 100 versions of that composition, surely it’s not too much to expect that maybe there’d be a tiny possibility that even one of them would show up as a song?

Anyone from roon care to assist? @dylan ?

1 Like

Maybe it depends on whether the song is in your local library? I think it prioritizes those first.

In my case, the track search results list 49 songs, for which the only common element seems to be the word ‘My’, followed by many copies of ‘My Favourite Things’ from Qobuz.

Seems like an odd hierarchy if that’s what it does.
Why would anyone want to see songs with, say the word “my” in their title, ahead of songs with the entire song name just because they were in the library?

If I search for the band Henry’s Child on mobile, the artist briefly shows up at the top of the list, but quickly disappears. If I then go to the artists results section, the band is nowhere to be found.

A) results should not appear and then quickly disappear.

B) the best match should be on top, regardless of the popularity of the artist.

The fact that roon doesn’t seem to understand the problem is pretty concerning. Makes one question their competence.

1 Like

Hi. I have a couple examples:

1. Search for the album “No Quarter” by Page & Plant which I have in my local library:

1. Search for the track “Cry Baby Cry” on The Beatles White Album which I have in my local library:

Neither search comes up with what I’m looking for. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes