Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

I too have “No Quarter in my local library.
When I search for it, the Qobuz version is top of the list rather than my library version

This issue may have been covered previously in this thread, but is it correct to say that some of the issues are to do with the speed of information retrieval? Metadata retrieval has, for me, speeded up considerably and, at the same time, Search has improved. Many of the examples given on here, including searching for “The Cure”, now give the correct result.

Just redid my search for “Green Manalishi”.

Slightly different result in the track section. Overall still abysmal.

Just as expected: still far from satisfactory.

Fair point. I just wondered if retrieval speed makes a difference. It obviously does to some extent, but not for the wider problems and issues with Search.

It’s a logic matching issue that seems to be the main issue, and some stuff just can’t be found using search at all even though it’s in your library due to this.

2 Likes

I’m not searching for the track by Led Zeppelin but the album “No Quarter” by Page & Plant. The top four search results include the albums “No Doubt” and “No Jacket Required” but not “No Quarter”.

2 Likes

Fleetwood Mac album “Rumors”. Have it in my local library.
edit: yes, I spelled it wrong. That makes it not work…

Try “Rumours”

Thanks. Pretty funny.
Didn’t notice my spelling (or lack thereof). Don’t think I ever noticed 'till now that US and UK spellings are different.

1 Like

I find it funny that Roon is so unforgiving of typos whilst at the same time being unable to prioritise exact matches over very inexact ones.

4 Likes

Heres a great one.

Roon played a track from this on Radio so Roon knows it exists.

Try searching for it by it’s title, it’s 3rd from bottom at 25. Why is Deep Purple Machine Head the top one. Ridiculous.

Today the album above comes up as the primary find. Why now. Is search based on popularity and the fact it’s been searched a number of times makes it now show up. It’s very odd as I search several times yesterday with the same results each time. Today there it is. Still 25 place in the albums section so nothings changed there. Most puzzled, a search should not be based on popularity of this is the case.

1 Like

Did you add it to your library?

No I didnt.

1 Like

Fwiw, if I do the same search, the search drop down doesn’t offer a direct hit:

But if I then click on “See all results” I get it as the top result:

Though if I look at albums it is only the 11th possibility as other less good matches in my own library seem to take precedence.

It’s not in my library, and I use Qobuz. Dunno if that helps. I think I would be confused. There seems to be different, conflicting, logic driving the search drop down, the “see top result”, and the “All album search results”.

It never came up in fast search lookup the other day , nor returned any hit of the album.at all. It was only visible by going into.albums and scrolling down at number 25 in the list. This is what I don’t understand as today it gets a hit. Whether the metadata server update the did is finally affecting things or it’s just some random oddity I have no idea. One thing is it’s inconsistent and a search shouldn’t be nor explains why its only shown at 25 down in the albums as that makes no sense whatsoever.

2 Likes

So @mike how’s it going with the search fixes then? Seems a bit futile now everyone keep adding their examples, it’s pretty obvious that the issue lies in trying to use machine learning to prioritise certain results - seems likely a work around for now would be to disable this until you guys get it to do what you had in mind? Just checking in with @support as well…

Ha, I thought I was the only one with this issue. I feel as though it has gotten worse too. I struggle finding things that were easy to find at one time.

5 Likes

The awful thing about this thread is, that there is no feedback from the wizards that Roon hired to fix Search. This is a forum, communication is sort of why it exists.
Why are there no questions and als why are there no answers? Search is the most fundamental part of any library - it is not a “nice to have”
Atleast one of those Search people should keep customers informed and communicate, this could actually be helpful. The time invested by showing interest in this thread would be well spent.

9 Likes

I even have trouble finding what I want in my own local library! :confounded:

It’s not unusual for Roon search to show me the Qobuz version, but completely ignore my local copy.

4 Likes