Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

First we see, then we’ll believe.

How long has it been now that Roon search doesn’t function? Ever since it launched is how long.

And then they have the audacity to claim an intelligent search. They must identify strongly with PT Barnum.

3 Likes

Search words: “Weinberg chamber symphonies”
Total results: 53
Classical results: 10 (19%)
Weinberg results: 8 (one shows up twice) (15%)
Weinberg chamber symphonies results: 5 (9%)

non-classical results examples that made up the 81% of results:

Bruce Springsteen - eight titles
Roger Hodgson
Riot - two titles
Metallica
Jeff Buckley
Fiona Apple
Garbage
Ween - two titles
Love Battery
Built To Spill
Power Station
The Innocence Mission
Smashing Pumpkins
Matt Costa
Spoon - two titles
Slayer - two titles
Cop Shoot Cop
Blur
Barbra Streisand
Overkill - two titles
Nirvana - two titles
Yellowman
The The
Herbie Hancock
LL Cool J
The Replacements
PJ Harvey
Pixies
Beastie Boys
White Stripes

3 Likes

I know it is really annoying when someone else says “it works ok for me”, but in the interests of fairness, and since I have been complaining about the Roon search for two years, as it happens I get a reasonable result for the same search.

The search drop down is ok:

And the “all results” isn’t bad either:

Roon’s search will behave quite differently depending on what is and isn’t in your library, so that probably accounts for the difference between our outcomes.

I would also say that now there is focus, it can be more reliable although more tedious to use it when you know the composer. So go to the composer view, pick Weinberg, (or just search for Weinberg), click on discography and filter by symphony and whatever else you fancy.

But that’s not to diminish the fact that your search should have worked better.

Oh yes, it is extremely annoying :blush: Also I prefer the results that @TuliaNonTroppo got. Much more fun to get the Beastie Boys when searching for “Weinberg chamber symphonies” :innocent:

3 Likes

The Roon search results include albums in my local library that Howie Weinberg is listed as having mastered.

Roon is unable to separate this from my search for Weinberg’s chamber symphonies, but the Qobuz app search function is able to do this, so I know it is achievable.

Hehe, typing in “Howie Weinberg” in the Qobuz app reveals that this bloke has mastered a LOT of albums!

1 Like

That defeats the purpose of a search function, doesn’t it? What good is a search function that only works well on stuff you already have in your library?

That defeats the purpose of a search function even more. It won’t even start to work if you want to search for something outside your library.

To use this for finding a composer (artist, producer, whatever) you haven’t got in your library, you’d have to first use the search function. Talk about catch 22.

I appreciate the solution oriented thinking but this kind of workaround is not conducive to getting Roon to solve the problem. Every time someone comes up with a workaround, it lessens the urgency for them to tackle the problem and let’s be honest: the way they are not handling the problem makes me think they don’t give a rodent’s posterior.

Maybe it’s best not to encourage their lack of interest.

2 Likes

I am having poor results with search (partial name / title searches especially are erratic) but capturing them sufficiently well to report is proving difficult.

Her is one example that IS definitive. I search for an album that I have (it can even be playing - see screenshot) in my library and on Qobuz Miles Davis’ Merci Miles, and rob reports it as not found.

Isn’t “Merci miles” the first option in the search drop down?

Yes it is. So it’s extremely frustrating to get the response:

:slight_smile:

Even when it’s playing!!!

2 Likes

Ah, ok, now I understand. Bizarre. But you are right, the search drop down and the results are often not consistent

1 Like

In my case. Merci Miles is not in my library but it comes up as the first search option and roon finds a Qobuz version. So something very weird?

3 Likes

As someone noticed above we now have more than enough examples that development should work on. So I am adding this one just for fun - apparently Mozart was a passionate anti-fascist (which could very well have been the case had he lived 250 years later…)

11 Likes

Hello everyone, I’d like to thank you for your input. The feedback you give is valuable for us because it helps us see what’s the biggest / most common pain points. That being said, we’re actively working on some of these very issues that you posted here, and that includes the example of Mozart’s political activism posted by @DrPo.

9 Likes

Here you can see I’m searching for Bob Roubian, who I know is in my library in several compilation albums. Is there a way to search for an artist and not receive results with a second unrelevant name?

Search obviously needs to be better but whilst waiting there are a few workaround that may help. It is difficult for me to test as I don’t think I have Bob Roubian in my library (I might have).

1. In the hour glass did you try putting the search string in brackets? That is “Bob Roubian”. For me, Bob Roubian comes up as the first hit but I don’t know if it is the Bob Roubian you are looking for.

2. If you are looking for artists in your local library you can always do a “filter” in the “My Artists” screen instead of a magnifying glass search from the “My Albums” screen. That might turn up Bob Roubian “appearances” in various local compilations. This will only work if you have Bob Roubian defined as a primary/album artist but worth a try, just in case.

If neither of those work then at least it is another data point for sucking searches.

Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately no dice. My Roon library is quite large with many obscure artists.

What I do sometimes with more obscure artists I only have in compilations is to hunt down albums on Qobuz or Bandcamp or other sources so I can make the artist a “primary/album artist”. That way, roon will treat the artist in a more predictable way. It’s not a generally viable solution but it may help with some favorite artists where there might be a few rarities in the digital catalogue. The key is that you are able to make the artist a primary/album artist that will show up in the “My Artists” screen.

For me, search results are getting better in some instances, but worse in others. I just did a search for the group King Pelican, and it was #51 on the results list, while a month ago, it was #50. I searched for their album Matador Surfer, and today it was the Top Result, while a month ago, it was something like #24 or #25. Oh well, you win some and you lose some8, I guess.

Am I alone in feeling a profound sense of dread in reading this?

I’d think it’s obvious that the sole issue we’ve been illustrating in this thread is that search doesn’t have issues but that search is the issue in itself in that it just doesn’t work.

Full stop.

@zenit’s post gives me the creepy feeling that the Roon team is once again on a mission to polish the existing t#rd instead of throwing out the whole sorry mess and starting over.

I hope I’m wrong, but still I fear.

3 Likes