Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

Suddenly appeared today

A post was split to a new topic: Easy on Me Adele - Problems Adding Track To library

Welcome to roon :slight_smile:

I like to do that too, and I’d say the composition results are exactly for this kind of “research”. From there, you should be able to see all the renditions of the song that roon knows about.

As for mysterious results, that’s hopefully a thing of the past soon.

1 Like

Let’s hope the new release comes soon. i searched today by both artist and title for four more albums reviewed in Stereophile and couldn’t find any of them through Roon, but found them all on first try in the Qobuz app, in Apple Music, and Tidal. I’m a lifetime subscriber but I’m getting ready to just start out in the Qobuz app. It’s really quite ridiculous that Roon can’t find something using the exact title.

6 Likes

Thank you, I hadn’t noticed that. However, unless I’m missing something, the Compositions section does not return an exhaustive list. It did filter out the unwanted results, but only showed five titles, whereas Tidal retuned ~50 results. This is the full set of results from the compositions section:

Some simple spellunk algoritm would be nice?

Trying to find a great Norwegian group by the name of Kaisers Orchestra returned no resultsin either the search box, nor the results page:

Turns out these guys spelled their name with a “z”, Kaizers…
And i still own quite a few of their albums, stored on local disk.

And the other day i was dying for some Congos, you know the South African brothers, sons of Johnny Congos who did the “He’s gonna step on you again”:

Hmm, this is not what i was looking for?
Ah, they are spelled with a K!
Now were kooking!

This is not strictly on topic as it’s not about Roon searches, but I thought I’d stick it in here rather than starting a new thread as it’s yet another exapmle of Roon presenting you with random information for no obvious reason…

If I look in ‘Genres for you’ and select a genre, then go to ‘Artists in your library’ there are lots of artists listed who are not in my library. Why?
If I then click on ‘More’ I see less :roll_eyes: That’s good because the list then only shows ‘artists in your library’ instead of ‘artists mostly not in your library’. Messy.

@support

I’ve just found this link.

Often when I look for the name of a track the list that comes up in Roon is far shorter than the list that comes up in Tidal. And though I have named the track exactly the Roon list quickly veers off into tracks with a common word that are nothing like what I am looking for.

My most recent example is today’s search for, “Theme from Schindler’s List.” Tidal brings up countless tracks (even if some appear to be repetitive). Roon brought up three choices NOT INCLUDING the selection from the original soundtrack, as shown in the screenshot, before veering off into “Themes” I was not looking for.

This has happened too many times with too many different track searches.

@beka
Here is a new example of a different aspect of this problem:

Johnathan Blake has a newly released album on Blue Note. When I search for Blake I find a discography that does not include this album. Yet when I search for the album title — Homeward Bound — it is there, although I need to scroll through many other albums of the same title.

Why does this album not appear under Blake’s discography? Why do I need to look twice? He is the leader on the album.

More confusing: Why is the title found as an “album” yet all that is available is one song?

Please explain.

2 Likes

This catches me out all the time. Only this morning searching for the metal band ‘mastadon’ when the correct spelling is Mastodon. Good job I am not seriously into classical music, I wouldn’t stand a chance spelling most of those names.

3 Likes

I am. Don’t even go there, it’s beyond painful at times.

The other annoying one is with accents, umlauts and those letter O with a diagonal line through them for which I cant find a way of typing on my english language keyboard.

There’s always a way, it’s somewhat OS-dependent and is usually a pain :wink:

I am actually searching the search tabs where ou fill out composer, artist, name of the work, performer…I am new at Roon and contracted a monthly subscription to try it out…!!

Oh I have an example of Roon searching not behaving optimally!!

I’m searching for an album titled “The Great Train Robbery.” Here are screenshots to show what happens.

Here are the first two lines. Lots of albums with “Great” in the title, but none of them match “The Great Train Robbery.”

Here are the next two lines. You can see there’s an album on with “Wild Rovers” and “The Great Train Robbery” but that’s still not what I’m looking for. And why would this be on the 4th line?

Oh, look what shows up on the 5th line! “The Great Train Robbery!” That’s the album I’m looking for. Why are so many albums with the word “Great” prioritized when I’ve typed in “The Great Train Robbery?” What else do I need to type to have this album come up right away?

2 Likes

I don’t know, but I will guess that in this case you might get a better result with “Train Robbery”. This way Roon won’t get all the albums with “great” or “the” in the title. Not that you should have to do this or know this, that’s just the way the search is at the moment. There are some encouraging signs that it might not be like this forever.

It shows up on the second line when I search for “Train Robbery.” Getting closer. :slight_smile:

Ha! Now try “Robbery”.

1 Like

Searching for the album “Dirty Loops Turbo” produces kind-of-right results. But Turbo is the name of the album, and this is what I get:

Why do I only see one album hit, I don’t have the option to see more, and it’s not the one I’m looking for?

The Thilo Wolf album is in my library, but it’s not the one I was looking for.

Additionally, to go to the album I need to start a song from the album and then select “go to album”. So many clicks…

1 Like

Here is an example. I searched on “good night Irene” and got everything but (see capture). Searching on “goodnight irene” brings it up. So the way Roon is handing spaces is not SOTA. Searching on a standard search engine (DuckDuckGo or Google), either form brings up the song.

So @mike & @support

@mike - you asked for examples in Sept 2019 and said you were working on changes

This thread is over 2 years old and has almost 500 posts and hundreds of examples.

But search is still broken.

When do you expect it will be fixed?

8 Likes