Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

As @Mikael_Ollars says, since this album was only released yesterday, it has not yet been integrated into Roon, which is why it is not found by the Search function.

However, that is a separate issue from the general complaint that Search needs improving. It is very idiosyncratic at times, and your search strings provide another example of this.

The string: Saint Saens Symphony in A Major produces this, which is not good enough, IMO:

If I include the Ratner Catalogue number, then it works:

This does seem to be requiring too much knowledge on our part to help Search?

At the moment, Roon knows about four Qobuz recordings of this symphony. It’s a pity that Search need too much direction to find them. Roon Labs are aware of the issue and are working to improve Search.

1 Like

Here for me.

Roons search being pedantic again you need the hyphen. They need to sort this out as having exact interpretation is just prone to this kind of behaviour

We are looking into this. I did the same search and had the same failure.

To confirm that results should actually show up, I just went to the composer’s page and then to his symphonies. Symphony in A Major was there, as expected.

That’s no excuse for search not working properly, but it is a workaround for these types of searches while we get our search improved.

We’ve recently had new additions to our team that specialize in search, so you can expect some drastic improvements in this area.

16 Likes

Great news!

Here’s today’s example. (Not a particularly bad one.)There’s a cd called “The Moon & The Forest”. If you search for “The Moon and The Forest” Roon doesn’t appear to find it. (Actually it is in the second page of albums, but why would you look?).

But if you search for “The Moon & The Forest” Roon nails it.

I know “and” isn’t “&” but …

1 Like

Good to see you acknowledging the current state of this and adding resources to fixing it.

3 Likes

I’ve just conducted a search with Reelsoul - hit! Second search with All that matters - hit! So your database must be the problem.

try searching “Saint-Saens Liege Kantorow”

Do you have the symphonies in mind? That’s the album that shows up in first place.

You can do what you are suggesting by using focus. Or if you know the album name, artist, etc. I find that just typing in part of that info always brings up what I am looking for.

The topic here is the global Search function (invoked by the magnifying glass icon top right of the Roon screen). And these search results have the option of using the Filter function on them, but there is no Focus function for search results.

iPad actually, don’t know how Android devices works…
But, i just discovered a bug in iPad OS.

When i took these screen shots, shifted focus to Sfari, and then backed into Roon i had lost the Search spy glass! And i restarted Roon on the first occasion, but then it happened again!

Thanks Geoff and Mikael, I never realized it was search history, or it never sunk in I guess. I am talking about the second screen shot where it is doing type ahead search. Roon is matching actual artists from the database. So i am saying if I pick one of those, take me to the artist i picked. It is showing me exact artist names and I am picking from those search results.

On the search history feature, on iPad, when I select a previous search term, it re-executes the search and then puts me back in the search box to edit the search term, which i guess is okay but feels a little clunky.

2 Likes

I think it’s becoming obvious that Roon have ‘Valence’d’ search and instead of search being an objective function as it should be, it’s another ode to the ‘popularity contest’ that 1.8 has hitched its wagon to. Here’s a good example when searching for Anthony Joseph. Why isn’t he the top result, and a number of artists that aren’t even close to his name come before? I can only think Valence…

4 Likes

And in the artists section, how did “Amp Fiddler” get offered three places ahead of the correct artist? I have had instances of album searches where the desired album isn’t in the first half dozen or so albums returned from the search, so you don’t see it immediately, and because the top results are off there’s no reason to click the “More”.

3 Likes

Amp Fiddler == Joseph Anthony Fiddler, member of George Clinton’s Parliament/Funkadelic, and has other great collaborations including Prince, Jamiroquai, Fishbone, etc

Tony Scott’s real name is Anthony Joseph Sciacca

Joe Pass’ real name is Joseph Anthony Jacobi Passalaqua

etc… etc…

I think there is a bad prioritization issue here – a weight is clearly incorrect on the artist’s actual names… ill have our team look into it

9 Likes

Great. There are many similar issues that I encounter in classical searches. More tenuous hits get offered before obvious ones, including ones that take a fair bit of detective work to understand. Here’s a search for “Beethoven Concerto Abbado” that features three out of the first six hits by Mozart, and you have to work hard to figure out why. (Qobuz gives a dozen that are spot on).

3 Likes

Core Machine

Mac OS, Mac Pro, Intel Xeon 32 GB

Network Details

Ubiquity dream machine pro

Audio Devices

Holo Audio May DAC, Hegel H390, Ropiee raspberry Pi.

Library Size

2000 tracks

Description of Issue

Search artist Sampson on Roon does not return her. Search her track “Born in the North” doesn’t return anything. If I search Qobuz, the above searches found her and her tracks.

Strangely, if I search her album “Dark Sky Nights”, Roon can find it.

Something is really broken.

2 Likes

Sampson is there. She is in the last row on my list of artists. Being a single name makes it difficult for Roon to narrow it down, but having said that, the first artist on my list when searching for Sampson is Big Bill Broonzy(?). How does that happen? You’re right about the track Born in the North. Roon search shows nada.

1 Like

I don’t know why it was first, but the connection is that Sammy Sampson was a pseudonym of Big Bill Broonzy.

1 Like