Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

Hello @Chris_Rudmin,

Thanks for letting us know :nerd_face:

If you search by BABY BLUE FISHMANS do you get the desired result? It seems to show up on my end:

@rebeka Adding fishmans to the search still does not return the track.

I have about 16 tracks titled baby blue in my library, and only one shows up in the search results.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @Chris_Rudmin.

Can you please navigate to the album that the track is on under My Library? I’d love to see how it is titled :pray:

@beka

Apparently, topic about ‘Search’ has dissappeared (if not, please move my reponse to the right place)/

1. Olivia Kaplan
    artist not to be found in/via Roon.
    In Qobuz, her album I was looking for is present (and of course she is).
    Hearting the album in Qobuz made both Olivia and her album ‘Tonight Turns To Nothing’ known in Roon.

2. looking for artist ‘Underwater’ (no albums in My Library)
    I heard a track on the radio this morning, and only catched the name of the band.

Does not promise to be a jumpstart trying to figgerout what I have been listening to this morning :frowning:

Dirk

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini Late 2014 Big Sur 11.2

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi Orbi mesh routers

Connected Audio Devices

LaCIe RAID drive-> USB-?Mac mini->USB->Mcintosh C48 Preamp.

Library Size

24500 tracks

Description of Issue

Search function seems to be completely broken. I searched for \ “All the time in the world” and it shows me only one track result - a track by Deep Purple. I was looking for the song by Louis Armstrong, so I searched again for “Louis Armstrong All the time in the world” and it finds the track it couldn’t find before.

1 Like

Very similar experience - search seemingly can’t find EXACT matches :confused:

I’ve taken to coming at it in the most obscure, roundabout ways to find anything :frowning:

2 Likes

I expect a search for “Bach Cello Isserlis” to return recordings of the Bach Cello Suites played by Steven Isserlis.

The top 6 albums Roon offers are by Bach, but nothing to do with the cello except incidentally, and don’t involve Isserlis. Similarly the tracks are for Bach keyboard music played by Murray Perahia or Andreas Schiff, and some Beethoven, all well wide of the mark. If I expand on the track suggestions there are dozens all wrong. Yet there are 36 tracks in my library that should be direct hits.

It is not until the second screenful of albums that a direct hit on Bach, Cello and Isserlis is offered. But since the first screenful isn’t close, there’s no reason why I would normally press More, since I don’t want more wrong ones.

2 Likes

tried searching for “resound beethoven no 3” in Roon 1.8 build 806:

… nothing! :roll_eyes:

did the very same in Qobuz.app and…

3 Likes

ps. When I try your search, Roon does find Resound Beethoven No 9 as the 17th (!) hit, but all the others are misses.

First 10

Second 10

2 Likes

16th result, here :stuck_out_tongue: (Beethoven’s 9th)

:joy:

1 Like

There is another issue too. The results change when doing the same exact search. At times it finds more entries when you do the same exact search. This seems to mostly apply to unrecognized albums.

oh… btw… would probably be nice if search results did show in reverse chronological order (newest releases first)
might be just me but most of the times I’m searching for some new album I’ve read about :wink:

1 Like

Searched for 18th Century Classical composer Paul Wranitzky:

Did you not get Wranitzky shown as a Composer in the Search results drop-down, like this?

Clicking on this took me straight to his page:

@Geoff_Coupe But why is Paul Wranitzky shown as the second result in the search drop down? Why is Paul McCartney considered a better match for Paul Wranitzky than Paul Wranitzky? What good reason is there that the album and track results have nothing to do with Paul Wranitzky?

4 Likes

Fully agree. This is what I have meant when I have previously posted here that this search, should as close to it as it can, respect that the user knows what they are searching for and are not looking for suggestions.

3 Likes

Not the 2 times I did it on my windows laptop. After your reply, I tried it on my ipad and I got that result.
That’s another problem with Search-the results aren’t consistent.
And as others noted, why is the first result Paul McCartney, along with him and others in the album and track results?

1 Like

I assume because the drop-down results are ordered as Artist, Composer, Album. As to why McCartney is selected along with Wranitzky - I have no idea how the search algorithm is constructed…

But your assumption doesn’t seem to be correct. There doesn’t seem to be any fixed order for search box results. Here is a search just for “Wranitzky” where the results in the search box are ordered Album, Composition, Track, Composer, Album, Track.