Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

@Squeezemenicely - does it make it less worse if you first find the composition using the search box, then use the Focus tool to cut it down by artist? If I do that for Tristan und Isolde I get the composition as the top hit, and I can then use Focus on the Artist Windgassen to get these results, which might be better than nothing for you. (I know you shouldn’t have to).

Note I have no instances of the opera in my collection, and I use Qobuz. And I am going out of my way to be tolerant since the first album Roon returns under Tristan und Isolde is “Debussy: Harmonie du Soir …”, for no obvious or intelligible reason!

@danny has said that Roon are reading this thread so I can only trust that they are working the problem. But I agree with you, without much feedback it is not really very motivating to put more effort into reporting more variants of what seems to me the same issue.

2 Likes

Thanks, I know how to work around it - this is how I create the screenshots. Search for the artist, list all albums and then the title. But that obviously is ridiculous and has never been this bad.

I just tried to explain the problem as best I could so that the programmer/s could understand it.
If someone does not have the use case - the problem does not show…
Which is the big problem. The bug also exists in other genres - but in these kind of works it is extreme.

I am more than happy to answer questions of the coders, should any arise. I am not giving up.
Am deeply invested in Roon with money and countless hours of grooming my library.
I just want to find the stuff I know is there and wish Roon would simply search for words and spit out all results where these words are in the tags - nothing fancy…

2 Likes

Sure. Some of my aggravation with the search box search goes back to when I needed to use it because you couldn’t exclude snippets from the composition search and there wasn’t a focus. So the search box was my only hope. Now there’s alternative routes to a reasonable result I am less frustrated, but obviously I do think it should work. How Roon got to “Debussy: Harmonie du Soir …” from “Tristan und Isolde” is beyond me.

I searched band name Ophidian I and correct result is last in artist list when opened from link. With Qobuz it was first…This is just one example, many times search need to be done in Qobuz.

Why exact matches are not shown first?

2 Likes

You’ll possibly get a better result if you drop the “I” and just search for Ophidian. (though obviously you shouldn’t have to do this). Roon search currently gives more weight to partial matches in your own library than exact matches in Qobuz. Since you’ll likely have dozens of tracks in your own library with “I” in them, these will swamp the direct hit. Maybe if you scroll down to the end of the albums you’ll find what you want. Roon have acknowledged this issue, though there doesn’t seem to be much recent feedback from them on this thread, while the “daily mixes” thread is getting input from Roon. Here’s what I get if I just search for “Ophidian”. (I too have Qobuz).

But if I search for “Ophidian I” the results for “I” dominate because I have a fair few Italian groups in my library

Why? Is the one I want not first, just silly.

4 Likes

Yes I know but I showed an example, as requested to this thread, what is not working.

1 Like

Roon wants you to listen to Anna Netrebko and not Anna Fox. It wants to broaden your horizon, you should oblige :slight_smile:
Maybe the search feature was upgraded to become more of a Discovery tool than actually finding what you search for. This would explain a lot.

It is not a bug, it is a feature :grin:

5 Likes

Squeezemenicely and CrystalGipsy make good points here. The search should respect that the user knows what they are looking for and do it’s most to accommodate that.

Right now the search is giving the experience of being some sort of hit and miss discovery tool with suggested search hits. These associations should of course be done on the artist or album page instead.

Very clear examples from both. Roon is not alone in treating searches this way, not showing the exact match at the top (to use CrystalGipsy’s example), but it is just as aggravating each time.

1 Like

Not sure if you are still looking for training data for the search team @danny. Searching “John Miller” doesn’t show “John R. Miller”. You need to add the middle initial for him to pop up in search. Middle initials might be an edge case throwing off the results.

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock on Intel NUC i7, 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Flat network some switches in between. Ethernet only.

Connected Audio Devices

N/A (Windows computer)

Library Size

~26000 tracks, 1330 albums

Description of Issue

When using the search function (top right) the results are incorrect. The top result is mostly correct, but especially the album view is completely wrong.

For example, if I search for “Der fliegende Holländer” (The Flying Dutchman) instead of 8 different albums from my collection, I get a whole series of results that have nothing to do with the search term. But even my 8 albums are not showed completely and I get only 5 albums. From 49 results shown 3 are missing and 44 are unrelated.

Thanks!
Hauke

1 Like

Same problem here.

The Lee Morgan Sidewinder in the results is particularly funny.

I have 3 recordings of Der fliegende Holländer in my library.

It seems the search is just using “Der” and ignoring the rest of the search terms.

Search result for “The Flying Dutchman”

1 Like

Interesting. If I only search for “fliegende” I got 7 albums but still one is missing. But if I go to “My Library->Album” and do the search I get correct results.

I found that the root cause is the metadata. Some (most) classical album titles have the composer in front of the real album title e.g. “Wagner: Der fliegende Holländer”.

The problem is that this meta data is inconsistent (i.e. “Richard Wagner:” or only “Wagner:” or sometimes no prefix at all). I also found that one of my “Tristan und Isolde” is named “Tistand & Isolde”.

After fixing all those things and also using only a single word for the top right corner search it kinda works now.

However it would be good if Roon could improve on the search function itself. Also an more intelligent way of handling meta data would be appreciated (sounds a bit like a job for AI).

BTW one problem is still left over. When I go to “composer” “Richard Wagner” the albums listed below are still not complete. However when I go to “Albums” and filter for Wagner the result is fine.

The strange thing is that the missing albums are even showing “Richard Wagner” as composer but if I click on the link the album is not listed.

I discovered that in the missing albums the composer had more than one role. In my example “Meistersinger von Nürnberg” with Rafael Kubelik as conductor Richard Wagner was 3 times listed in the credits section (composer, librettist and primary actor). After removing the credits as primary actor and librettist Roon is showing the album under the composer. So this is clearly a SW bug and not about wrong meta data. Would be very good if this could be addressed in one of the next releases.

Same problem here since summer update.
I only have personal music, see outcome of “for once” search. I was expecting to see plenty of “for once in my life” (because I have them). But just unrelated results.
Somehow it seems like it’s searching for “for”.

Similar problem, I search for something and it briefly appears in the results for about half a second (not long enough to click on) only to be replaced by what Roon thinks I should be looking for and the original (brief) search result disappears never to be seen again. My current view is Roon is getting more bloated, sometimes less is more. I’ve already had to increase memory and storage to keep pace! Keep it simple and quick please!

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 24GB RAM, MacOS 11.4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear AC3200
Wired ethernet to core
Wi-fi to RaspberryPI

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry PI => USB

Library Size

60000 tracks

Description of Issue

I am doing a search for “BABY BLUE” (without quotes) which is a track on an album 空中キャンプ by fishmans (spelled correctly, all caps). This track is also hearted. The search results do not return the track in the search results.