Roon Security via Profile -- aka "Party Mode" / "Do No Harm" [On roadmap, low on list]

+1 for this feature.

Locked Playlists please - very easy to reorder an existing playlist when browsing. I want to create them & then lock the content & order.

3 Likes

+1
Count me in as well.

Count me as 10 to the power of 17 if it will help!

+1

Additional context: currently trialling Roon; and I work in digital identity & privacy.

Was rather surprised when I asked my kid to install the Roon client (iOS) to discover that it automatically assumes my profile(!). I couldn’t find a way to set up profiles centrally as an admin, so had to help the child set up their own profile. And then discovered that there is apparently no security or protection in terms of them being able to access all the ‘core’ settings.

That all seems pretty broken from a basic security & privacy standpoint, so I’m still thinking I must be missing something? But the rest of this thread suggests not. Am I?

3 Likes

Short answer: no. :sunglasses:

And it’s not like we really need fort knox security either, it mostly just needs to keep you from shooting yourself in the foot or for other family members doing something accidentally.

Oh, I agree. Just a basic level of protection would be fine.

1 Like

Wait till you realize the entire file system is an anonymous SMB share. Oh My!

2 Likes

Thanks @ipeverywhere. Slightly less concerned about that in my own situation. Secure network and music is on a NAS fileshare such that the only user with access is the ‘Roon’ user. But yes: there might be safer architectural options.

Just evaluating Roon myself, this thread gets my vote as top priority.
The lack of security and any form of user control is making me think twice.

I am just evaluating currently. Roon is really great then I realized I couldn’t limit the abilities of other profiles.
Till then I will have to let people only play music with Plex which I can limit access with.
Roon is loosing out on potential customers due to the fact people feel reluctant to turn people loose with it because of possibly getting data changed or deleted.

1 Like

That’s what backups are for…

Roon has a ‘Delete Album’ function buried in the Album Editor/Album Options choices and a similar one for ‘Delete Track’. Yes, the UI does make it clear that it will permanently remove the album from your hard disk and requires confirmation, but that is of little comfort when I allow friends and kids to use my Roon Remote. I never want local music files to be modified or deleted via the Roon Remote interface. What I have now done is mark all music files as Read Only (under Win 10) and let Windows security block the delete. That seems to work.

It’s not clear why these function are there. Yes, they will remove the actual music files - flac files in my case. But it will then orphan the directory and any files left there such as jpegs, pdfs or misc log files. So it’s clearly not a good music management tool. Perhaps a more useful function would be to just have ‘Remove Album’ and ‘Remove Track’ functions that will remove from Roon but not touch the actual music files wherever they may be stored.

A more comprehensive approach would be to create a Roon Admin interface for these and other Setup functions such that the occasional friend, family member (or grandkids!) that should only be using Roon to listen to music won’t inadvertently mess things up.

Bottom line, it would be great if there was a way to protect my Roon setup from inadvertent screwups.

1 Like

Wow, sorry I didn’t see this before I posted… got some reading to do to catch up.

1 Like

From a previous thread

Biggest limitation of a Pi configured as suggested is that you can’t search so it doesn’t give a guest anything remotely close to the Roon experience.

They can simply start or pause the current album and skip the tracks. They can’t change albums, access Qobuz or Tidal etc so it’s just like letting them control your CD player but not letting them have a rummage through your cd collection and chance CDs in case they put the discs back in the wrong box.

To be honest I’d have no problems giving my friends my iPad or phone to play around with as I know they wouldn’t add or delete stuff. Anyone I didn’t know well enough to trust Roon wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near my hifi anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trying to adapt this product for my wife’s dance studio. It is closest I have come to a suitable solution. There are standard songs she uses for specific classes. The playlists are 100 or so songs and she would create them in her profile and make them shareable. I did this thinking they would be read-only by other profiles but they were not as I deleted a song while using my profile. I never thought shareable would mean shared and modifiable by others. Am I missing something on this.

I looked for a way to lock profiles, but see no way to do it. Each of her teachers would have their own profiles with their own musical selections and she would not want them to be able to switch to someone else’s profile. Again I might be missing something.

No, I don’t think you are missing anything. In Roon, all profiles are equal and effectively have ‘Admin’ powers to delete anything, including any of your settings, your music and your library. Feature requests have tried to change the situation (party mode) but no change so far…

That’s unfortunate, but one more person requesting it will help the cause.