Roon Server continues to crash - this time while downloading playlist in ARC

In my setup, I see a similarity between using the ARC iphone app and how it affects the Roon Server at home. I’ve been trying to download many songs from a playlist. While downloading, it crashes Roon Server. I’ve noticed this before when navigating through ARC after I load a bunch of new albums to my database. When I open ARC it crashes Roon Server. Very frustrating. My network is all hard wired 1gb fiber. All music stored locally on a NAS with Roon Server running on Sonic Transporter i9. No streaming. I have nearly 350K tracks in my music library.

I wish I knew why this happens a lot…

Hi, @Spence_Marquart, thank you for the report, could you, please, share a bit more details abotut hig:

While downloading, it crashes Roon Server.

Do you remember the timestamp when it happened? How did you noticed that RoonServer crashed at this moment? How big was the download queue when you started the session which led to the crash?

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Ivan. The download cue is large. 893 tracks. It happened around 8AM this morning. That’s when I noticed that Roon Server crashed and rebooted.

It literally just crashed Roon server right now. At 10:33 CST.

Hey Ivan. I got frustrated and deleted the download. I’ll continue to monitor the issue.

Thanks.

Thank you for the timestamps we are going to take a look into the diagnostics report.

Thanks!

Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan. It just happened again. At 8:05 AM CST. I’m out of my home network and open ARC on my phone. I try to play an album and it immediately crashes Roon server at home. I know cause I log into chrome Remote Desktop and see my Roon server at home is restarting. This happens on a regular basis. I know Roon ARC won’t work when Roon Server is down. I wish I knew why it always crashes Roon Server?

Thanks.

Hi @ivan,

I hope you’re well. I wanted to mention that Roon Server still crashes when I’m using ARC on my iphone outside of my home network. I’ll be listening to a song on ARC and search an artist and ARC says an error like “no connection” or “retry”. I check my home roon server by using Chrome remote desktop on my phone and I see Roon Server rebooting. So ARC is definitely triggering something in Roon Server and it frequently crashes the server when I’m searching in ARC. Just wanted to let you know. The last crash was around 8:10AM (Central Standard Time USA).
Thanks - Spence

Hello @Spence_Marquart ,

Thanks for your report here. Looking over your diagnostic log, we can see signs that your Roon Server is getting an out-of-memory exception when ARC is being used.

Your 350k database is too large to be running on the 8GB of RAM you currently have, you should be using at least 16GB, or preferably 32GB for a database this size.

You’ll likely continue to experience issues until the Server’s RAM size is increased. If you have any issues with upgrading the RAM yourself, I suggest to reach out to Small Green Computer via the bottom-right “Contact Us” button:

Thanks Noris. So the 8Gb of RAM is in the Sonic Transporter, correct? I will reach out to them.

Thanks.

I’ve reached out to them. Hopefully upgrading the RAM in the ST is doable. I appreciate your research into this.

Also, @noris - how did you find that my sonic Transporter i9 is running 8GB of RAM? I thought it was running 16GB. But I can’t find any documentation on my Sonic Transporter that tells me this info.

And I’m waiting to hear back from Small Green Computer.

Thanks.

Hey @Spence_Marquart ,

Yes, the SonicTransporter is showing as having 8GB of RAM, this is according to the diagnostics package we looked at while investigating your ARC crash.

Thanks Noris. Yep. I’ve been in contact with Small Green Computer. I’m getting 32gb of RAM installed into my Sonic Transporter i9. So this should really help, right?

Thanks - Spence

Yes, you were getting out-of-memory crashes according to logs, so more logs should give your server some space to operate.

Thanks @noris.

1 Like