Roon server dropping radio when station starts commercials

Roon Server Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I enjoy the Roon Live Radio but I notice my Roon Server loses the connection exactly five seconds after the station goes to commercial breaks. And then manually pressing play repeats this problem until regular programming resumes. Is this the reality of streamed radio? Roon uses Audacy links for radio, at least for the station I want, WXRT. What I also see is that this problem does not occur if I instead bypass Roon entirely and access the station through my SONOS audio endooints. In that scenario the signal never drops.

Why can’t Roon and Audacy fully commit and play together?

Are all radio stations displaying the same symptoms? If not there may be an issue with the WXRT stream…

As I am in the UK I cannot properly test through Roon, but analysing the .m3u8 stream, I see that the underlying m3u playlist references a different server during commercials. That server still uses a chunked stream but one that Roon has trouble with - stopping at the end of the first chunk.

The alternative mp3 stream will be OK, but unfortunately I can’t find a different aac stream.

I found an alternative 128k aac stream.

I have replaced the bad m3u8 stream with this one. I hope all should be good now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.