Roon Server High Idle CPU Usage

Roon Server Machine

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6ghz. 16GM RAM.
Roon installed as a docker container using docker image steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver on top of Unraid OS.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Orbi for LAN and WAN.
The UnraidOS box itself is connected directly to the LAN at 1Gigabit speed.

Connected Audio Devices

LS50 Wireless Gen 1 as primary listening device. Its also wired into the LAN.
Other devices are detected as available to playback on are my Google Nest Hub Max (connected via WiFi but its never used as a playback device).

Number of Tracks in Library

None. I don’t use any local media.
I only play back over Tidal.

Description of Issue

I am trying to reduce my power bills and as part of that, trying to minimize the usage of any docker containers running on my UnraidOS.
When doing top, or docker stats, I can see the docker container that is by far using the most cpu usage, is my Roon container. I have not actually used Roon in a few weeks, so I am tempted to just turn the container off, but this is then annoying if anyone in the household does decide to use it (and notices its not working).

Is there anything I can do to reduce its idle usage to 0, as I have no local tracks, no devices playing back any content etc. Is it in some way sending some network traffic out on a regular basis to try to find devices, or what is it doing to use 0-20% of a cpu core on this machine at any given moment? Maybe there’s a setting I can try that would reduce it to 0? It usually fluctuates between 1% and 10%. Heres a screenshot just now when it moved to 10% and a few seconds later went down to 0%.

Using the latest version of Roon Server as of todays date which is 2.0 (build1359).

After stopping and starting the container just before taking the screenshot from ‘docker stats’, the only error I can see in the container log is this one repeated a good few times, but its not logging this error anymore, it seems to appear a few times but then stops.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (104): Connection reset by peer
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource<System.Int32>.GetResult(Int16 token)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask`1.ValueTaskSourceAsTask.<>c.<.cctor>b__4_0(Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskToApm.End[TResult](IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Sooloos.RnetJsonClient.<>c__DisplayClass65_0.<_BeginRead>b__0(IAsyncResult ar)

I suspect you won’t like hearing this, but Roon is not officially supported in a Docker container.

1 Like

That’s fine. Let me ask in a different way. Outside of a docker container, is there a way to reduce the idle cpu usage of the Roon Server? For example, disabling any discovery logic of Roon compatible devices in the network etc, so using a sort of static configuration which I would be happy to manually configure. If that indeed what drives a lot of the idle usage.

I’m not sure. Some people like to turn their Roon servers off when not in use. I have mine on 24/7 on a NAS and it uses 0% when idle. It uses generally 1% (peaks of 3%) during use.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.