Roon server installation on linux system help

I am a starter on linux and also a pc dummy.
My current system have desktop PC where Roon is installed. (Just to try things, not needed to stream tidal or my music on HD)- At the music room i run ROON server on with W10 professional on a small FUJITSU -Esprimo Q910 i5 . For remote i use a ipad.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NOW i will replace my Roon server(on W10) with linux machine(also Fujitsu) and run then the ROON server.
I could download the server sw and get

PICTURE 1 >> Folder overview
–Double click on the “start.sh” file shows

CHOICES 2 >> what option i have
–select “display” show the

“start.sh” file contents in FILE DISPLAY1 and 2

Select “run in terminal” (CHOICES picture above)
bring that
“TERMINAL RUN” and show the
error “could not create required lock file”

As you recognize, iam wild lost.
Any help is welcome.

Choices 2

terminal run

As described in Roon’s help pages when clicking this link, you’d need to open the terminal window first via your Linux desktop menu, and then enter the commands as seen in following excerpts from the link I post, one line after the other followed by the return key, observing runnings until you get the next command line prompt for input of the next line.

$ curl -O https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

This is to download the installer.

$ chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

This is to make the installer executable.

$ sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

This is to finally install Roon server and all needed dependencies and will take some time…

Once finished, Roon server should be auto started and ready to be accessed from any of your remotes!

If you don’t need that Linux PC for anything else than Roon server, you’d be best advised to install a Linux server build without desktop environment to reduce overhead on the unit, and running it headless without display and keyboard/mouse.

2 Likes

Thanks Marin for your great help !!!
I just pray that everything going and finally i get one message:

So please, what i have to do ?

Thanks Robert

So got it. It should run now refer to that:

I am searching right now where and how i can start…

Roon server us running and will always start following a reboot. You don’t need to worry about starting it since it’s set up as a system service.

Thanks Martin a lot.
Even as a PC dummy i have installed Linux and Roon server on my Fuji.
I have to setup no my Roon and the music storage,library and network connections. Iam in a good hope that my (self generated) network problems are gone.
Many thanks for the great service here.

1 Like