Roon Server Interface Not Displaying Properly After Recent Update (ref#13W2IT)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I don't like how the product works

I have Roon Server running Windows 11 32H on an approved NUC. After a recent update the Roon Server runs, but the Roon interface doesn’t come up. I can connect using a Roon client. The NUC is headless so I use Remote Desktop to connect. I have an ultrawide 32:9 monitor with a Mac laptop running MS Remote Desktop. It ran before and presents an awesome wide display. A recent update broke something.

@Lewisr650, what is your network configuration on the NUC? Is it set to Private network in Windows Network Settings? Also, are firewall exceptions set of roon.exe, raatserver.exe, and roonappliance.exe? Has anything changed in your network?

No. When it started happening about a week and a half ago I did some troubleshooting and turned off the Firewall just to verify. Other than that, this Windows 11 Nuc Server has been working flawlessly.

What about the Private network setting? Some Windows updates default that back to Public, and Roon needs the setting to be Private.

What setting are you referring to? My windows box hasn’t been updated since Nov 2023.

It’s in Windows Settings → Network & internet. My connection is represented below with an Ethernet connection, but it shows it is on the Private network setting:

Also, is your RDP connection between your Mac and NUC still working?

Yes, RDP sessions between Mac and Nuc are working.
I don’t have my NUC connect via Ethernet, it’s only on Wifi because my router is mounted in a smart network control panel in the garage. Wifi has worked very well since Roon is only serving devices on the private home network.

I can’t even get the Roon interface to come up on a locally attached monitor now.
This is what the Roon interface looked like on a 32:9 wide screen monitor connected via RDP.

Hey @Lewisr650,

Thanks for writing in and apologies for the delay in getting to your thread.

If I’m reading this correctly, you are using MS Remote Desktop on your Mac as a way to navigate around Roon, correct? I am wondering if there’s another reason you’re using MS Remote Desktop in this situation, versus simply running Roon on the Mac as a way to navigate around Roon.

I don’t believe the MS Remote Desktop is needed, if I’m understanding properly. Let me know if I’ve missed something here! :pray:

Well, there are a couple reasons for my post:

1. this worked previously and the Roon display on my ultawide was AWESOME!
  2. I can’t run Roon client on my work laptop, but I can run MS Remote Desktop, which presents on my ultrawide I work on. (Work laptop)
  3. I want to leverage the hardware I have. I do have a Roon client on my iPhone and my iPad, but I work on my laptop all day long. Swiping to my Windows desktop is nice and easy, while support an ultra-wide display in Roon…
  4. MS Remote Desktop from my Mac laptop works better than Apple Remote Desktop to another Mac Laptop I have running in my office in the house. (I have a workshop I work in all day)

So, this worked before and I’m wondering why after a Roon Server Update it doesn’t work anymore. Seems to be a regression and not an intended outcome, which I assume is a bug or some setting got updated which is blocking it. I’ve reviewed all the documentation and have opened all required ports on the firewall. It would be great if I was able to get this functionality back. The photo I posted previously is the Roon interface running on MS Windows 11 Roon Server accessed via MS Remote Desktop. I just so happened to have a photo on my iPhone I snapped before the update.

Hi @Lewisr650,

Thanks for the additional information!

I completely understand your situation! The issue is that using Roon in any VM environment isn’t something we can officially support. It’s because of this that I’ll need to move your issue over to our Tinkering category, where there are likely other users here who have successfully used Roon in your situation.

My apologies for not being able to help further, and thank you for your understanding. :pray:

This isn’t a VM environment, it’s a physical NUC Windows 11 machine running Roon Server. The display worked before. I don’t understand why it doesn’t display now after an upgrade.

@Lewisr650, how is your RDP configured, via your company’s Active Directory platform? It’s possible your RDP has been updated to prevent non-trusted computers (such as your Roon NUC) from connecting to a trusted computer (your work Mac). I have this issue with our RDP instances between AD-registered computers and non-AD computers.

It’s not an RDP configuration or network firewall issue. I can RDP into the NUC just fine. It’s just that Roon Interface won’t come up anymore when I run Roon Server on that box. The Roon Server runs just fine and I can access the server from other devices such as my iPhone, iPad and web display.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.