Roon server keeps using more and more RAM even sitting idle

@noris Since I didn’t hear back I went ahead and investigated ipv6 since a search of this forum shows some other cases of potential “reachability” problems and ipv6. Well lo and behold I turned off ipv6 on the NUC running Roon Core and there are now no more “network reachability changed” messages in the logs. This has also resulted in no more disconnections or dropouts - which is great.

However I’m left wondering if there is a known problem with Roon and ipv6. If so, is there a fix on the horizon? And shouldn’t this be a first point of suggestion for people having this kind of problem versus testing for bad cables or switches? It sure would save someone in the same boat a lot of time and effort troubleshooting. FWIW: ipv6 is enabled everywhere else on my network and I don’t have any problems, even with very demanding applications such as 4k cloud gaming, long video calls, and a lot of simultaneous high-quality streams, etc. Tests show high throughput, sub 3ms latency, no jitter, etc. This is the first time I’ve had to disable ipv6 on any device on the network. Of course I’m willing to consider and/or accept that this is specific to my Roon environment and perhaps ipv6 is working fine for others.

On the downside, this has not fixed what seems to me to be abnormal and/or excessive RAM use. It’s currently up to nearly 9GB after one day (from 2GB at Core restart). I will leave it again over night to see how high it goes. I guess the questions are:

How much RAM should Roon be using?
Why does it increase over time?
Since this is new behavior (last few months maybe), what would have changed about my use of Roon or my Roon environement that would cause this?

Much appreciate the help. Thanks.

1 Like