Roon Server on an ARM based "faster alternative" to RPi?

Hallo, roon developers.
Can you please compile roon server for armv7 or armv8 platform? I know - you can, because it works fine on x86 linux.

The won’t because the arm processors aren’t powerful enough. It has nothing to do with the OS

I don’t think that 4 core Cortex A53 at 1.5 Ghz is much slowly than 4 core Intel Atom. On Atom roonserver works fine.

No. Atom is below the recommended minimum specs for a Roon core. Roon develops for those specs and above. Any implementation on hardware below minimum specs is just happenstance left up to the end user.

AJ

You are wrong.
On my J3455 Roon don’t use more than 23% of 1 core.

I think it will works fine on somethin like Intel Pentium III 600 Mhz.
It’s not a rocket since what Roons does, and not a bitcoin mainig.
The same functionality programs works on Raspberry Pi.

No, I am not wrong. I am factually correct – because I am repeating merely what Roon itself has documented as its minimum required specs.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

Whether you think Roon runs fine at 23 percent CPU utilization on lesser hardware is irrelevant. Unless or until Roon updates its minimum required specs to include processors below Ivy Bridge i3, Roon is not developed or intended for such usage.

AJ

We can, but we won’t. Not until the ARM systems out there get much faster or Roon gets much leaner. This is a long-term goal, but not on the schedule yet.

1 Like

This specs is based on nothing.
Roon don’t use AVX2 and even AVX at all, so recomendation about ivi bridge is empty line. Core 2 duo will be no worse than i3 in this case. And even Atom to.
And I have doubdts about multy threading in Roon.

I know RPi based hardware isnt up to the task of running Roon Server/Core, just the Bridge (I run a couple of RoPieees). And you only have Linux builds of the Bridge software, not the Core.

I’m perfectly happy with my Roon Core on a previous gen NUC i5 and what it cost me. I just keep seeing all these “faster than RPi” ARM based boards being released. Just a curiosity. As time and Moore’s Law marches on, when do you – @support Roon Developers – think you will be releasing the Core for an ARM based board?

I have a “faster than RPi” board…the ASUS Tinkerboard, it could handle the Roon Core no problem. I’ve install the Roon core on a MiniITX board with equal spec’s as the ASUS and the MiniITX board had no problems.

I suspect Roon will shoot this idea down and give some reason to support their decision though

1 Like

If Support are able to answer this “when” question with a date, I’d like them to also PM me the six winning numbers for this week’s upcoming lottery please… :grin:

All said in good fun of course.

Its only a matter of dependencies being available for ARM as they are for x86 computers.

I’d say they are, as most dependencies seem to be available for both these days. Therefore its just Roon blocking support for ARM during the install process.

For example Raspotify was/is only for Rpi, but can be made to work on other boards IF you change the install file a bit. And the only reason it won’t work on x86 computers is because of one dependency not being met.

Completely understood. Just getting it to work is one thing. Satisfactory performance may be another thing though.

You bet.

A system query would solve that in a flash. Just query for minimum standards, if met install, if not don’t.

As it stands, anyone could install Linux on a x86 computer that doesn’t meet those standards BUT will be able to install Roon Core. This is a flaw imo.

If Roon wants to ensure a minimum level of performance based on system resources then this check is a must.

Noted. For background, my (bad) joke about sending me the winning upcoming lotto numbers was about predicting the date for when an ARM based Pi-like device will offer satisfactory performance for running Roon Server.

Maybe 3 years from now, it won’t be hard to predict this date, the way things are going.

See my original post…I have one, the ASUS Tinkerboard. It has similar specs as my MiniITX board running Linux x86. Running desktop, its just as fast if not faster than my MiniITX board. The MiniITX board runs Roon Core just fine using Debian. I can install Debian on my ASUS too, but not Roon :wink:

Nice! I haven’t tried a Tinkerboard yet.

My comment about satisfactory performance may have a subjective element too. I have a Celeron based computer that can run Roon Server but my (subjective) experience using Roon with it is a sh!t one, compared to my NUC7I7DNHE running RoonOS (via ROCK).

So it works on the Celeron and it may be ok for someone else but I found the experience to be sh!t (subjectively).

I guess further expanding my (bad) joke, it’s about when an ARM based Pi-like device will match the kind of performance I get with my NUC7i7DNHE. We’ll get there one day I’m sure. But who knows when.

I suppose a Celeron can’t match the performance of the NUC7I7DNHE.

But then my low powered MiniITX can’t match my current server…3.5Ghz i7 w/16G Ram.

I see your point, its going to be difficult to match 3+Ghz CPU power and tons of Ram.

Things are progressing so quickly, if we revisit this 3 years from now, it may be interesting!

I thought it was a good joke! :wink:

My opinion is the experience is sufficiently excellent on a NUC7i5BNH as well. The i5 variant of the NUC7 isn’t all that much slower than the i7, but slower nonetheless.

I do use a M.2 NVME SSD for the OS, Roon Core & its DB w/the music binaries on a spinning drive. Use of NVME for the runtime is a significant factor to a performative experience and I’d require that of any ARM based board if/when ever that comes to pass.

1 Like