Roon Server on an ARM based "faster alternative" to RPi?

As far as faster than RPi (or maybe a better performant ARM system might be a better descriptor), I have 2x (soon to have 2 more) LX2160A class nodes in 1u sitting at home. 64GB RAM, NVMe, 100GE, and 16 A72 cores. If that wouldn’t suit a core deployment, not sure what would

Instead of supporting ARM CPUs it would be much nicer to get a apple silicon version of roon server and Rock :wink:

something that runs on a iPad pro M1.

Maybe for a small library size. The other arm request will never happen unless the market is like 10% of this kind of deployment. Way too specific imho.

iPads are not designed to be servers.

My M1 MacBook Air runs roon just fine. I’m sure a M1 iPad pro will be plenty powerful :wink:

There’s the chip – and then there’s the OS. iPadOS is still very much a mobile OS, focused on (energy) efficiency and battery saving – and then there’s sleep and memory management. There’s no way a persistent database-driven application like Roon Server would not be killed by the OS within minutes.

1 Like

Can’t imagine there is no iPad app like caffeine and amphetamine

That’s cool – except there isn’t: that’s exactly what a sandboxed environment like iOS/iPadOS precludes.

1 Like

The iPad is a locked down ecosystem with built-in app closure which is why the Roon client keeps getting shut out of memory for consuming too much battery. Imagine that with the full server environment.

Plus you need a full version of Dotnet which doesn’t exist on iPad os.
It’s good to dream so dream on

2 Likes
1 Like

Something like this maybe

Plenty of cores and ram

2 Likes

I run a series 4 NUC 8gb ram.
It serves my dedicated listening room performing crossover duties for my 3 way and room correction.

I have no issues even at 192khz sampling rates.

Surely modern day arm solutions are faster than this?

If you can run Ubuntu on say a vim4, in theory would Ubuntu arm support .NET and run Roon server?

1 Like

Agreed, this is a horrible idea. Tons of expense for a bad experience.

2 Likes

iPads are all about power saving and shutting down background processes. This is quite the opposite of what a server OS need to do. They always have 10+ hours battery life for a good reason…no matter how powerful the chips inside get.

2 Likes

I would welcome an arm release, even for those of us who would be prepared to beta test these scenarios. With Ubuntu supporting .net how much work would be involved to release a beta version?

Although the latest 8 core arm solutions like the Rock5, Vim4 aren’t quite up to NUC x86 Gen 6-11 speeds, they do have great multicore results and arguably keep up with my gen 4 i5 NUC which has no issue running Roon (Performing procedural tasks, etc)

I find these two boards very interesting candidates:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5

Separately the development of Linux for Apple silicon is very interesting.

Just wondering if the Roon team would chime in here.

With Roon developing native Apple silicon Roon versions, would the Roon team consider releasing an ARM version for general beta testing, that could run on Ashai Linux OS?

I’m thinking,

Apple M1/M2 + Ashai Linux = Super fast/silent/low power Rock Server.

We may have winner here in the realm of a compact and very affordable SBC that can run Roon Core as a server. Can be configured withtraditional Intel processor too, so binaries exist. (I have to look into whether roon binaries run on an Atom processor)

I saw those. They announced another that i was thinking of pre ordering: Edge2 Pro

This was 2018. It’s now 2022, and ARM processors have come a long, long way since then. In terms of cores, speed and the amount of RAM they can support. I would like to at least experiment with a copy of roon core and see if it will run. Would a linux-based Rock image load on an ARM SBC without a lot of tinkering? Or, is that simply out of the question (hardware wise)? Various new implementation of the latest Rock chip may hold some promise - as mentioned above.

I have a life-time subscription and was wondering if I could get a 2nd free copy for 30 days to play with on an experimental platform. At a minimum, inquiring minds may find it a useful exercise.

No, ROCK is built for x64.

As for RoonServer on Linux/ARM, that project is something we plan to undertake (there is no timeline, don’t bother asking). We have it working on MAC OS + Apple Silicon, but not Linux + random ARM chips.

Transfer your current license to the new core once you have it running. You can always transfer it back.