Roon Server on Raspberry Pi

Does Roon Server / Roon Core being developed for Raspberry Pi?

Not going to happen, search the forum for more verbal blurb about it, plus see what’s currently available here and in screen shot…

1 Like

There’s no Roon Server build for the ARM CPU architecture used by Raspberry Pi boards. Even if there was a build, the processor in the RPi4 does not meet the minimum specs.

That said, there are a few boards with a similar form-factor that do use an Intel CPU architecture that, in theory, should be able to run Room Server, even though they too are probably below the minimum recommended spec. For example:

Could actually be an interesting project. Just go in with low expectations. A board with eMMC or (ideally) M.2 NVMe storage is a must. Boards that only support microSSD will not have enough disk I/O performance to support Roon’s database.

1 Like

I think the best solution is INTEL NUC with Linux.

1 Like

It’s a pity, since for example Audirvana or JRiver Media Center, running on Raspberry Pi Win11, is doing well. As far as the CPU can keep up, they work normally. Not everyone has to want to do upsampling to DSD 1024 or Home Cinema room correction. After all, some people just listen to the music and they like a lot Roon’s aesthetic but at the same time, they like the elegant minimalism of the Raspberry PI. But on the other hand, when I look at HIGH END Munich 2023, audio equipment tends often towards “TRANSFORMERS”…

1 Like

True, and a short NUC is not way bigger than a Raspberry Pi 4 in a case.

The Raspberry Pi 5 has just been announced. 2 - 3 times the performance apparently. Is it possible now good Roon programming folk? If Roon core could run on such low priced hardware, that importantly uses far less power than a PC, I’m sure it would increase the Roon subscription base :slight_smile:

Matt

1 Like

It’s not about the speed but about the processor - so still Intel or Apple PC chips only!
:no_good_man:

1 Like

The requirement for an Intel Core i3 (or better) processor with compatible instruction set is the main blocker. But even if that were somehow solved, Core does a lot of local disk I/O. Although the RPi5 has a PCi 2.0 connector, the stock board boots off of microSD (or USB). An RPI5 would be badly I/O bound, even if the CPU were fast enough for basic Roon Server operation. That, and Core would aggressively chew through microSD cards unless booting from external storage.

As much as I’d love to see this happen, if only for isolated lab or travel use, it’s not practical.

2 Likes