Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

@crion,
this does not mean, that an app is limited to a certain amount of ram in Dsm 7.
But it might happen, that “watching for files in realtime” when adding a new album won’t instantly add this album, when the amount of music files or folders will exceed this limit.
But I am still checking the options here.

1 Like

Hey there, just joining to check if there is currently any known way to install Roon Server on DSM 7 :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

Hello all … so I’m a newbie to this but keen to get started.

I’ve just bought a Cambridge Audio Edge NQ and have a Synology DS920+ running DSM 7 (I know …!) with my music on.

I’d love to get Roon Server up and running on the 920+ but when I download the current package it fails to install due to invalid file format - presume this is is due to the points above. Any ideas when this might be rectified?

thanks

I am in the same position. Had already upgraded to DSM 7.0 and then signed up to Roon and received the same error. Probably not surprising but would be grateful for any workaround help from the forum or @crieke. Thanks for any help or suggestions, even if it’s just to wait until the Chief Tinkerer has done his magic. Thanks.

1 Like

You could run roon server in a docker container (when not using virtual machine manager cause that has issues) ?

I had Roon running in a docker in DSM6 and then upgraded to DSM7. Still runs as it should.

cool
can you point me to the image you used?

thanks
Chris

Sure i ued this one: steefdebruijn roon docker image

Do let us know if its as perfomant as a spk install.

Hi, thank you for the advice in previous posts about running Roon in a Docker for now. Unfortunately, my Synology DS418play doesn’t support Docker (as far as I can tell). Any other suggestions would be welcomed, but I think I will just have to wait until @crieke releases a new version. Here’s hoping that the new release won’t be that long.

currently DSM 6 is still the current release. DSM 7 is not yet out for productive use. If this will change I expect an update for Roon core on Synology.

Hello!

If I understood correctly, with DSM7, and once the Synology Roon app is updated, we will be able to control access of Roon to files is that so?

Context:
This would mean for example that we will be able to “enforce” a true read only policy for Roon, correct? The fact that Roon has a “delete” button that allows it to delete files from my NAS without any access control being enforced is just very worrying.

Só, Although this represents a ton of work for @crieke I am hoping this will be a change for the better.

@crieke I would help if I could but I have no developer skills. Thank you for your work. Much appreciated.

Theres’s multiple ways to get docker to run if theres no official docker package for your DS418play.
(google around for it for a bit)
But you have to be used to linux a little.

@Rde Thanks for your advice. I have side loaded Docker using a DSM Beta version for DS216+ II and it installs and runs correctly. I’ve searched for the docker-roonserver registry and installed container, but as a newbie have reached my limit. The container runs, but doesn’t pull the Roon software on first run. Grateful for a link to any instructions or advice. I am grateful for all the advice.

@Rde Having the same newbie issues as Alan. Please advice or location of a doc with instructions.

@rde @Diederik_Blaauw Hi I’ve made some progress by mapping folders in Docker folder and RoonServer is now installed. Advice on port settings so Roon apps can find the server welcomed. Progress but not quire there. More coffee!

The log file keeps on telling me:

00:00:00.006 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsgem0-
00:00:00.268 Trace: [childprocess] using unix child process
Initializing
Started
aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version…
Not responding
has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 0
Running

Please some additional info about how to map folders in Docker

@Alan_George Se above reaction. Hope you can help me.

@Diederik_Blaauw Sorry I am really a newbie so can’t be much help. I just googled how to map and watched a few videos on youtube. However, I am now stuck and can’t get any of the apps to see the Roon Core. Roon installed, Docker container is running but… Wishing you look.

Have had a lot of Caffee today. No Docker breakthrough by me to report.

Hope @Rde, @crieke or someone els can help us.
Would love working with Roon on my Synology for the first time.

Will try to provide a test install soon. Can’t make any promises but hopefully I might be able to have this done next week.

3 Likes