Roon server on Ubuntu setup problem

I am trying to install Roon server (I know its headless and needs to be controlled elsewhere) I have download the file but not sure how to make it “run” (I am new to Linux). I have tried the Gdebi package installer which worked for other applications (Zoom / Teams etc.) I have my Roon Core running elsewhere at the moment but have just repurposed an older (16gb RAM / 512 SSD i5 2012 Mac mini) as a Linux box which works fine except the Roon bit. Any help greatfully recieved as I have tried the help centre but can’t make any sense of it. I just get the attached screenshot. It could be that its already running but I don’t know how to check?

Hi Brennan

I would first suggest reviewing the Roon Linux install FAQ if you have not done so.

Summarizing the steps from the document posted by @Rugby, and assuming you intend to use a 64-bit Intel or AMD processor, these are the steps you’ll most likely need.

This uses the easy installer, and also includes dependencies you’re likely to need.

sudo apt install ffmpeg cifs-utils curl  --yes
curl -O https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
3 Likes

Got in now and it works great - new to Linux not used to the whole terminal thing.

5 Likes

just FYI, gdebi works fine if the software was packaged as a *.dpkg installer. However, Roon installation is performed with a terminal (shell) script

1 Like

No worries. I have been using Linux for years and I still feel like I’m new to it.

It’s best to ask first. The people here are helpful and the Knowledge Base is well above average.

Welcome to Roon!

4 Likes

Thanks, been a Roon user for a few years now but had an old Mac Mini (2012 16Gb/ 500GB SSD) thats no longer supported by Apple and thought I would give Linux a go… In summary converting to Linux/Unbutu really easy - understanding that you can’t download a click on stuff bit harder… in the end its really fast so very happy (actually quicker for Roon running Linux Server than on a Mac Mini M1 running “full fat”. ) so v. happy

2 Likes

OK I am a Linux convert - just changed a Mac Mini 2014 with 4gb which was acting as an endpoint over the Unbuntu - gone from painful to a rocket ship (ish) … minimal Unbuntu install and really easy to install bridge once you get the hang of the whole terminal thing :slight_smile: Thanks all for your help.

2 Likes