Roon Server service in QNAP no longer starts, remotes can't connect

Core Machine:

Model: QNAP TVS-H1688X

Firmware: Latest available (QuTS hero h5.1.1.2680 Build 20240220)

Roon Build Number: 2.0 (build 1392) Production

QPKG-Version : 2023-03-07

Network Details: Wired 10Gpbs Ethernet connected via managed Zyxel XS1930-10 Switch

Audio Devices: Oppo UDP-205.

Description Of Issue:

The Roon Server stopped working on QNAP two days ago. It’s been working flawlessly for more than 18 months. No new firmware was installed in the QNAP and the network configuration remains the same.

The Roon Player on my Mac stopped finding the Roon core. If I go to the QNAP, the app is there, but something is amiss. If I open the app, every time it asks me to do the configuration process and select the location of the database.

I do so by selecting one of the folders in the list and clicking save. After that, I get a message saying the configuration was saved, but in the overview window that follows, the status of the Roon Server remains as stopped, and the database location I selected previously doesn’t show.

Screenshots of what I see are attached

What I’ve tried, that hasn’t solved the problem:

1.- Restart QNAP and Mac.

2.- Remove and reinstall the Roon Server app on the QNAP

I’m not a QNAP user, but it looks like database has gone AWOL.The database location is missing. So, that’s what I’d check, and update.

I tried uninstalling the Roon Server app from the QNAP, and reinstalling it. Upon running the first configuration step, where I select the database location, I am taken to the same screen. Every time I open the app on the QNAP is like I did it for the first time. And every time I am taken to the screen in the screenshot I pasted, the database location is blank (regardless of me selecting one of the folders in the NAS as the location in the previous step)

If you open File Station, can you find RoonOnNas?

I do not see that folder. Here’s a screenshot of what my current folder structure looks like from FileStation

Your right, the screenshot does say Roon Server is installed successfully. What folder in the list did you select for the database? Have you opened every folder to see if you can find where the Roon folders are located?

I have done the Roon configuration process several times and selected different folders. I always get the same result at the end, with an empty database location and the service looking as “Stopped” status. The folders I selected as database locations remain empty after the fact.

Have you checked that the database location is accessible and has enough free space? Most likely, the service can’t start because the database isn’t present or accessible. Can you run something like journalctl to view the systemd logs?

As I’ve explained before I’ve tried several existing folders in the NAS as the location for the database. All of them were there before, and there are more than 25 TB of free space in that storage pool.

What baffles me is the fact this started happening out of the blue. I installed and configured Roon Server in that QNAP many months ago, and it was a one time process, done and forget about it. Not sure what happened that triggered this problem, because the configuration in the NAS hasn’t changed at all.

When you ask me to run that command I’m assuming you are referring to using Terminal and connect to the QNAP via SSH, I’m I correct in that assumption?

Yes, but there may be another way to access the logs for systemd or whatever service manager QNAP employs. The logs will give you some insight and help you diagnose the problem.

Anyone else here can help with any other ideas. It’s been more than 3 weeks that I have been unable to use Roon at all. @crieke, you are by far the most knowledgeable person when it comes to Roon server running on QNAP, any tips?

Hey @Damaris_Gil ,

I’ve moved this to QNAP/Synology NAS . I vaguely recall seeing this issue before when you would try to install RoonServer at the root directory of the QNAP, are you by any chance trying to do that? In case this helps, here is the QNAP install guide:

https://roononnas.org/en/qnap/

Maybe the issue is with your shared folder:

In case you need to create a new folder, this needs to be done in the QNAP “Control Panel” under “Shared folders”, or use QNAP’s FileStation, if you need to create a folder within a shared folder.

None of the two cases. I’ve tried to re-install by selecting shared folders that were created years ago. As I explained before, Roon Server was working fine for many months. I even created a new shared folder just to rule out. The problems remains the same

some sanity checks / troubleshooting ideas; for us to better understand your setup and offer better advise, please grab some screenshots and share them if your Roon DB location is still un-configured after last step

• in QNAP’s Web-GUI interface, open “Storage & Snapshots” and from left side menu go to Storage → Storage/Snapshots ; verify that all your volumes are ready (especially the one your remember configuring for Roon’s DB)
  • open “Control Panel” app, and go to Privilege → “Shared Folders” ; check that you have shared folder for Roon’s DB on the Roon dedicated volume) ; while here, open “Edit Shared Folder Permission” (2nd icon in the Action column) and make sure that user “admin” has read/write access on that share
  • open “Roon Server” app, click “Change database location”, select the share you want to use and click Save

good luck

Some answers:

1.- All volumes and ready and with ample free space
2.- The account I’m using with top privileges (not the default admin, as that’s a security flaw) has RW access to all folders in this NAS. It is actually the only account with such privileges
3.- This step doesn’t render any different results. Regardless of the folder I select, even when I select folders that were created since I first configured the NAS.

As I’ve said multiple times, there were no account settings changes, no new folder creations or anything along those lines before the Roon Server stopped working. This happened all of a sudden after it had been functioning perfectly fine for over a year, without a single flaw and without the need of me ever going there and look at it

Did you check at the log files? Any suggestions without seeing these are a stab in the dark.

Roon is normally run as root.

When I click on the option in the Roon Server window (the icon with the ambulance image) to save the log files in a zip file, the actual file is never downloaded. The action spin there and nothing is actually downloaded. Is there any other way to collect them? I’m not well versed in using SSH commands, but I’m not afraid of trying them out if I get a little guidance

I mean, take a look at the system logs. It’s the system daemon that starts Roon, and this fails, so it should record this in the logs.

Here’s a screenshot of the QNAP event log. I’m no expert but it seems it’s installed just fine.

The second screenshot is from the resource monitor and the two Roon services look like sleeping.

In the Roon Server app, the service keeps showing it as stopped, and the database location I select keeps showing as blank.