Roon setup scheme with mac mini as server and NUC endpoint

Hello,
I’d like to get some advice about my planned set-up (see picture) that I’m planning to buy.
And I’d like to get the best sound possible. So i’m trying to avoid switches as much as possible.

My scheme is showed in the added picture:
So I:

run my roon core on a mac mini. that goes into a switch (connected to the internet and my nas).
the intel nuc is serving as a bridge (endpoint) with NUC. I do this by installing ROCK on the NUC and not using the core option. this is only serving for processing the music. that goes to my ian canada streamerbuild using usb.

Does this scheme work in reality? so, for example:
can my intel nuc ROCK find for example the mac (apple) based core without problem?
can i find and control the roon core using apple remote on an ipad?
Is this path and connection types (usb vs ethernet vs others connections) the best way for the best sound quality? (or is it better for example to connect the Nuc endpoint directly to the mac mini core ?)

Thanks in advance

And why do you think that switches have an adverse effect on sound quality? Also, I have never felt the need for “audiophile” switches either. Cheap unmanaged switches are the way to go, IMO.

2 Likes

And while using an Intel NUC with ROCK installed as a bridge will work, it does seem a bit of an overkill to me.

You could use a RPi with RoPieee instead - it would be a much cheaper solution.

The only scenario where I would use a ROCK/NUC setup as a bridge would be if I wanted multichannel audio delivered via the HDMI connection to an AVR…

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response. Indeed, the switch doesn’t need to be expensive to be good. But i heard quite a big difference with the use of (different switches).
Indeed a NUC is a bit overkill, but it’s included in a second hand build (with other components) i plan to buy.
But, most importantly, my scheme will work correctly?

It’s quite possible that you did - but I strongly suspect that the differences were manufactured by your brain and your expectations rather than existing in reality.

Roon Labs actually promote the use of having the server and the output on separate devices as the path to achieving the best sound quality, rather than have everything installed on a single computer, so networking and switches are inevitable. You can’t connect the NUC directly to your Mac in any case. Ethernet doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

mac mini directly connected to endpoint appears to be possible? Connecting two Macmini's with ethernet cable directly

But, most importantly, my scheme will work correctly?

Well, it’s possible, but frankly, I wouldn’t bother with it. Too much faffing about with static addresses. Far simpler to just use a switch as your diagram shows and let your router’s DHCP server take care of the IP addresses in your network.

I don’t know anything about the Ian Canada streamer - best check that it can be connected to the NUC, which will be running Roon OS - a stripped down version of Linux.

1 Like

It seems to be a DIY kit build from what I’ve seen.

And DAC HATs for RPis as well - so I hope that @floss_laag is not going to have unnecessary complexity - a NUC plus a RPi, when perhaps all that is required is a RPi + RoPieee…

All right, so sticking to my original plan appears to be a good idea. I really appreciate the quick help here!
So there are no changes to be made that would improve better functionality and/or sound quality?

Indeed, ian canada is a DIY kit. No need for use of a rpi indeed. Only usb input for this ian canada streamer from the NUC. If i’m not mistaken this will also make native dsd possible, whereas the rpi with ian canada over i2s will use dop/pcm…

Well, as I say, I know nothing about the Ian Canada products so I can’t confirm your assumptions. Perhaps someone else in the Community who has more knowledge will chime in here…

When Roon says use an ethernet cable between your RoonServer and and endpoint, they mean via a switch, NOT, a direct ethernet connection which I wouldn’t recommend anyone do with Roon.

Maybe? Native DSD with Linux is very much a lot of research it may not work out of the box or ever. Linux is natively uses DoP. Each Linux kernel (as in per device) needs to be patched (if possible) for each individual DAC. Now some patches are based on a known USB class, so it might work.

Likewise, MacOS, doesn’t use native DSD it uses DoP. IF native DSD playback is a goal, then you need to start designing your playback chain there. It is not enough to see that, “oh, that DAC can do native DSD” and think it will work.

this i get (it’s what I use), but still unclear on the need for the NUC. Like others have said, you don’t need it. Just get a streamer that can act as a roon endpoint on your network. Even if you have the NUC, it’s like driving your car with a camping trailer attached all the time, just because you have one. :upside_down_face:

Could be a Chromecast Audio dongle ($25), could be a raspberry Pi ($100), could be an Eversolo DMP-A6 ($800) or you could find something for five figures.

Eversolo (internal DAC) can do DSD no prob. For Rasp Pi, it would depend on the DAC.

Thanks for the input. the ian canada components are all native dsd compatible (receiver and the other components. So the question is whether i can get the audio signal in native dsd to the ian canada audio components. the intel NUC with ROCK on it installed and using usb output, native DSD should be possible right?
and yes, is indeed makes more since to use the switch:). indeed a NUC is normally speaking a bit overkill, but it is included in a second hand buy with other components.

That is where the “it depends” and needed research pops up.

I would send a message to the ian canada tech dept and and ask them about playing native DSD from a Linux server over USB. See what they have to say.