Roon slow and saving takes forever looses connection

Now tidal isn’t loading anything now. I am logged in. It says check network connection but the internet is working fine on everything’s else.

Hi Todd,

Regarding the Tidal issue, try quitting your Roon core app and restarting.

See if that helps.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Hi @Todd_Sevig ----- Thank you for following up with me and my apologies for the continued troubles. Did a reboot of your core machine enable TIDAL to reconnect? Are you noticing this connectivity issue ONLY within roon or in the TIDAL application as well?

Furthermore, I had a chance to meet with my developers today to further discuss this issue you are experiencing. This most recent observation with TIDAL may point to there being two different networking issues you are running into. The first being on your local network (i.e remotes not connecting with your core machine) and the second, getting information to and from the internet (i.e TIDAL connectivity).

I will tell you that network troubleshooting is probably the most frustrating and painful part of the support we do here. It frequently involves painstaking experimentation, changing one variable at a time and then waiting for an intermittent issue to recur. It’s frustrating for everyone involved, and it’s one of the reasons we’ve worked so hard to make sure Roon is robust on all sorts of networks.

So, point being – this is a VERY strange case. You seem to be doing everything I would hope, but all signs point to some kind of network performance issue and honestly this could be something as simple as a bad cable. Which we have seen before.

In regard to these issues, I firmly believe the most logical first steps are the following:

1. Local network trouble shooting: Getting your MBP on a wired connection to the router. I understand that a ethernet adaptor is not ideal for any permanent solution but this will be necessary for testing. This should provide us with good information on how your setup reacts with Wifi removed from the equation.

2. Internet Connectivity: Getting stability when streaming TIDAL. We know that Wifi works with Roon in a variety of situations but there are more variables to consider under these circumstances than using ethernet. So the kinds of intermittent issues you’re mentioning can arise when the wifi network isn’t performing as well as we might hope. I did a little research on the modem you’re using, and from what I can see there are actually some widely reported issues with this device’s wifi performance. More specifically with packet loses and latency issues.

As mentioned, I understand how frustrating these kinds of issues can be as I have had to perform the same testing on my home network, numerous times. I always find that simplifying the setup (i.e removing WiFi) and removing as many variables as possible from the “chain” and then adding them back in one by one is a sure fire way to identify the problem “link”. The next step being evaluating the equipment I am using. Are there known issues? Is everything up to date and meeting performance requirements? We continue working with you to get things stabilized and eliminating some of these variables is going to be our starting point.

-Eric