Roon & Sonore ultraRendu with tube DAC

Hello!

Has anyone used the Sonore ultraRendu with a tube DAC? I’m currently using a Wavelength Brick N2, it’s a tube DAC where on my Raspberry Pi streamer, such as with HQPlayer 5 Embedded, Ropieee, or moOde Audio, I’m required to click the shutdown button so that it will inactivate or “switch off” the DAC’s tube.

I was told there’s no such function in Sonore’s products and would like to confirm that. How do others who are using a tube DAC, use it with the Sonore’s streamers? They mentioned these streamers are meant to be turned-on non-stop, but what about situations where I want to disconnect the DAC from the streamer? Because the tube in the DAC will be turned-on non-stop, that could reduce the lifespan of the tube significantly (something I want to avoid).

Thank you,
Kai Chong

I use HomeAssistant (and mostly zwave controlled power switches) to turn on and off DACs and amplifiers based on whether zones are playing.

You need to dedicate a raspberry pi and it’s a bit of hassle to set everything up.

It’s more complicated with USB DACs because roon removes the endpoints when they are powered off. Although there is a workaround by grouping the USB DAC with a second zone (eg an unused hdmi output).

1 Like