Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter ...)

This is what I find so natural about the renderer and computer separation. Having both in one box means you have to go to huge lengths to make that computer both powerful, cool, and electrically silent.

Conisder for example HQP upsampling to DSD512: It is (almost) a must to use a CUDA card to do this reliably. You cannot put a CUDA card in an audiophile PC and expect it to be silent.

So the best configuration I can think of is:
1- A powerful computer in a different room, with a CUDA card, the ability to mount gobs of hard drives, rip, etc. This computer can be ugly and made of plastic - doesn’t matter - for just $2000 you can blow everything else out of the water in terms of performance.
2- A high quality renderer to which you stream the data to be played.

Want to upgrade the ass-ugly computer with more power, more drives, more powerful CUDA card, etc? No problem! This makes sense to me.

So more OT for this: I will try Roon over RoonReady vs Roon+HQPlayer over NAA when v1.3 comes out.

3 Likes

Props for the master tease :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

If you set HQPlayer to NOT upsample, then it will send a bit-perfect stream to the DAC. What this means is that the DAC itself will upsample - except for NOS (No Over Sampling) DACs. If you set HQPlayer to upsample then it will NOT be bit perfect by construction since it is increasing sample rate and bit depth.

1 Like

A few questions in case you know

1- Is the playback engine itself re-written?
2- Who wrote the upsampling engine? A+ uses iZotope for PCM, mansr’s for DSD, HQP their own

3- All of these DSP operations are done in the core correct? Will they work with whatever endpoint I choose if it is supported by that endpoint?

Don’t know 1 or 2 sorry. After 1.3 is out the devs may be able to tell us. Three is yes to both.

1 Like

:clap: Looking forward to this feature in 1.3. What are your sound quality impressions using the Roon upsampling/filtering?

I was pleasantly surprised but haven’t given it a scientific comparison with HQP. In particular the levels I was using were nowhere near matched, Roon being slightly louder. Understandably I perceived Roon as being more “direct”, but I suspect most of that is due to the level mismatch.

I’m reading on other sites that ROON 1.3 will have improved SQ? Is this true? Now I believe that ROON is 4th after Amarra for Tidal, Audirvana, and Pure Music. Lets hope 1.3 will improve SQ.

It’s true if you want it to be.

3 Likes

It’s on the Internet – it must be true.

4 Likes

I thought an improvement in SQ would be a good thing? and as a simple comparison will show and improvement would be nice.

Oh man wake up :slight_smile: Roon is a server SW with Client thats not where the sound comes from

Recording->(HW=Roon etc)->Room<->Speakers

Bad Recording -> will anything in the line make it better???

Bad HW??? i never faced any problem

Room<->Speaker Interaction, wow no we could extend this to a VERY BIG discussion how important that is.

best regard with my 50c

Armin

1 Like

1.3 will sport a number of DSP options (think upsampling, EQ, convolution, updated volume levelling) if that’s your thing. Apart from that, don’t expect changes to the playback engine. Let’s just say that if you are using Roon to play to a DAC connected to a PC, you’re doing it wrong. :wink:

AC power, ethernet cables, DC power supplies, air humidity, it all maters, we all wish for the mythical “wire with gain” but given everything else stays the same it is valid to swap paticular divices/ software to see if ther is a difference in SQ. Try it, all these software “bit perfect” options have free trials. See for yourself.

I’d rather enjoy the music

1 Like

I usually find that one or two helpings of this while listening improves SQ to levels that hard- and software tweaks can only hint at:

10 Likes

I agree 12 year old Mcallan sounds like redbook CD’s and blends found like MP3’s

2 Likes

So the 25 year old sounds like res and the 50 year old MQA? :wink:

https://edrinp2l1160525115114.blob.core.windows.net/edrin-p2-l1-160525-1152-34-assets/Lalique_50_Gallery_02_en-GB.jpg

A 25 year old I like. I think 50 is too old for me just as a 12 year old is too young

1 Like

This comment intrigues me because that is essentially what I’m doing (albeit with the recent addition of HQPlayer); PC/Roon to HQPlayer to my audioengine d1 DAC (which is mainly serving as an amp for my Senn 598s). Three months ago I was listening to mp3’s straight from the motherboard sound system, so I’m in a pretty good place but I know I can get better. Later this year I’ll be moving to a bigger space with a moderate budget to upgrade my DAC and add an amp and some decent speakers. Is there a thread/blog that explains, generically and understandably, what the elements of an optimum topography should look like? For example, do I need a renderer?; Is there any benefit to stand-alone storage?; what are the pro/cons of integrated amps or active speakers? I’m not looking (yet) for why Schiit is better than NAD, but more a discussion of what are the essential pieces and what are the maybe nice to haves