Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter ...)

Will this make larger demands on the Core? Does the same apply to MQA software decoding?

Cheers
Tom

If you use the capabilities it will place additional demands on the core.

Iā€™m afraid using my powers of deduction and observation I have failed to spot this intriguing sneak preview!
. :frowning2:

.sjb

1 Like

One guyā€™s SQ experience:

Former Setup: ethernet line serving flac files from a Vortexbox Appliance running Logitech Media Server into the Bridge II renderer in a PS Audio PWDII DAC. Best SQ came from file playback (mostly redbook). Tidal streams were close but not as detailed as flacs from the hard drive. Playing Tidal from a Macbook Air > USB > PWDII DAC was a distant third place.

Then along came MQA, which necessitated playback via Macbook > USB > DAC. And it bettered my best! Even through USB. Revelation. Best SQ Iā€™d ever had in the home.

Which prompted last weekā€™s major upgrade to running Roon on a SmallGreen Sonictransporter i5. In its first configuration I compared Tidal streams to file playback, pointing Roon to the same flac files on the still-router-connected Vortexbox. Suddenly, Tidal was clearly better than local file playback in A/B/A testing across multiple tracks!

Then last night, directly attached to the Sonictransporter a USB drive that Iā€™d used for VBA backupā€¦

Voila! Local file playback is once again superior to Tidal, not drastically but discernibly. This is the best sound quality I have ever enjoyed at home in seven years of computer audio! I am giddy to think about the gains from MQA software decoding through Roon 1.3.

it is called expected expectation

participated in 20 double blind tests

5 posts were split to a new topic: I want a new Roon endpoint that is not a computer

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: I want a new Roon endpoint that is not a computer

Essentially right. The observation I originally made was that, using the same computer I run Roon core in also as an audio endpoint, and comparing the SQ between that and A+, I preferred A+. And comparing Roon+HQP to A+, it was a bit of a wash, also using the same computer as endpoint.

It locks volume control to -3 dBFS setting for PCM sources, so you donā€™t get surprising volume changes when going between PCM and DSD sources. Thatā€™s all it does.

1 Like

and on that note, this is pretty telling: