Roon stability - am I an outlier?

That’s truly bizarre. I have the Roon remote installed on my iPhone SE, iPad Mini 2nd Gen, and my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen, and it has never crashed, as far as I can remember. Bizarre…?

There’s a big sticker on the side of the box stating: ‘MUST BE INSTALLED BY A LINN DEALER’. Enuf said!

Errm… It DOES! :smirk:

4 Likes

Neat! I just found out about the Forum’s “Ignore Member”. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Glad that I’ve been of help! :rofl:

I’ve no problem with Roon 1.8, except for a few things and minor inconvenience listed and posted on several threads on this Forum, but no major issue. One of my best friend visited me and was impressed by the Roon software and decided to join Roon.Since he started his subscription, he has been having problems after problems. We have the same system MacMini → RPi4/Ropieee —> Gungnir (USB). He has a newer MacMini (mine is late 2012).
The condescending tone of some folks here is difficult to understand. Is like “my is good and that’s all matters.”

Peace,
Tony

6 Likes

@Andrew_Webb – do remember that people who are sorry to hear about your issues are trying to help :slight_smile:

I did see that before asking my question. But I think the information you provided does not answer the question about whether your Core is connected via ethernet, does it? Sorry if I missed that, but I looked fairly carefully.

Sure, I don’t disagree with your perspective that none of this should be necessary. I wouldn’t have suggested a NUC if you hadn’t indicated yourself that you have thought of doing this.

[FWIW: I have purchased two lifetime licenses myself, and I would be furious if I were having the experience that you are having. Even though the UI issues that I have had since the 1.8 update are to me less serious b/c of my simple usage patterns, they still definitely affect how positively I see Roon and the Roon team that rolled out this update].

As compared with managing a Mac or Windows machine (even one that, in my case, was dedicated only to running Roon), I have found it very liberating to just run Roon from a device that is always on and that I can treat as an appliance. Roon users who run NUCs frequently mention this aspect as a positive.

Here’s the link. But looking at that thread again, the RAID SSD did not hold the Roon DB. So perhaps this is not relevant. In your place I would ask Roon Support about it directly if you haven’t already (they may not have mentioned it as a potential problem only because they didn’t notice that it’s RAID).

Hope you are able to move to a better Roon experience.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I was rude. I do understand that you’re trying to help. Having messed around with Roon and the hardware involved ad nauseam, I’m very skeptical of hearsay and anecdote, as it applies to my setup.

I guess I just don’t understand this part. Do NUC’s never have software updates? That’s all the managing a dedicated Mac Core machine needs—and it runs 24/7. If you’re saying that the NUC has less general overhead, then I get that. However, plenty of other folks are running Macs and Windows boxes without issue.

It’s in every Support request, it’s in my Profile—I’ll mention it again extra loud next time I ask for support, but I’m pretty sure they know.

You and me both, otinkyad. Thank you.

1 Like

Here’s my best attempt at explaining this. I just found it a pain to run the dedicated Mac and Windows machines. They just did not run stably (for me) 24/7 for days on end. Possibly this had to do with their both having been laptops rather than desktops. In any case, when they had interrupting events (e.g., when Mac wanted to install an update; or after Win forced an update) the hiccups usually affected Roon. The NUC stays on 24/7 without issue, and software updates have been fairly seamless for me.

I do know that many people run Win/Mac without issues. But I have also seen many people say something to the effect of “moving from /insert old Core machine here/ to NUC+ROCK was the best thing I ever did for my Roon experience”. I would count myself among those.

Not intending to evangelize for NUC, although I realize it may well sound like that, and I sometimes feel I am doing that.

2 Likes

There’s no doubt about it. If all a stand-alone piece of hardware, such as a NUC/Nucleus has to do is serve music via Roon, it will do it a damn-sight better than any platform running Windows/OS X, which is doing a myriad of other things in the background.

My advice? Get a NUC/ROCK or Nucleus.

3 Likes

This only true because you are comparing a 44.1/16bit flac file to a 48/24bit flac file.

I’m sure you’ll find something better for you. Good luck.

I subscribe to Tidal with the HiFi option through Roon, and once getting past the initial login issue it’s been flawless ever since.

I wonder if a lot of these issues are Internet related. I now have high speed fiber, maybe that’s a stumbling block for those who don’t have a high speed connection.

A lot of them say there are, and they ain’t! Run your upload/download speed test……

1 Like

Still crashing on my iPhone 12 max pro

My wife’s iPhone 11

My kids iPhone XR

1 Like

Without knowing your setup or configuration, I’d hazard a guess that it’s unlikely all your apple devices are crashing from the same problem. It seems more likely your core is having a problem causing your devices to fail.

I have typed my configuration multiple times in a bunch of different threads.

Just fix the mobile phone app from crashing.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m having issues as well and I’ve yet to voice them. As for contacting customer support I’ve found many company’s customer support to be sorely lacking. I’ve not given Room’s a shot yet. And one person said “two weeks is not enough time”. BS, no application of this sort should take two weeks to get up and running properly.

2 Likes

Me for 5+ years.

1 Like

And me 4,5 years , even on 2 different PC boxes

I think the problem lies with the mobile app

1 Like

For me it definitely does. No issues with the core on an elderly iMac before and on a Synology now.

What totally spoils my user experience is the ■■■■■■ remote crashing on a regular basis. I am repeating myself: it’s not only it crashes. Once it did it will not survive more than 20 seconds unless the iPhone was re-started. Simply cannot be any networking issue.