Roon support for Cayin devices

Hi Team,

Any updates on Roon Ready status for Cayin high end DAPs?
I last asked this question many months ago and there seems to have been 0 progress.

It only makes sense for Roon to certify more devices that meet the requirements so people are compelled to sign up for Roon. I know FiiO is now on your list of supported manufacturers and that Hiby have been in discussions with Roon too.

An update would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
Nick

Roon won’t comment on status, contacting Cayin is your only route.

Cayin won’t comment on status- I believe they are under a NDA. It puzzles me why Roon is not interested in getting more people compelled to sign up for a Roon license…

Hopefully the Harman acquisition has a positive impact on this.

The Roon Ready stuff must be implemented by the OEM and their implementation must pass the tests. It would be impossible and out of place for Roon to comment on the work status of their prospective partners.

I have a suspicion that the ball has been in Roon’s court for a while now.
Not too pleased as someone who spent £4000 on a high end DAP and has a Roon lifetime license.

Just speaking out for many others like me who no longer find Astell&Kern’s lineup compelling enough from a sound quality standpoint. My SP3000 is only still around due to native Roon support.

I would appreciate a comment from a Roon rep on this.

I’ve moved your post and this thread to the Feedback category of the forum, which is read by Roon Labs. The Roon Software Discussion category is for discussions about the current state of Roon software.

However, as has been said, they never comment on product certification until it is completed, and they certainly won’t comment on whether a product is being considered for certification.

1 Like

(Geoff answered what I would have, while I was writing :slight_smile: )

Makes very little sense to me. Roon’s priority should be increasing subscriber numbers- commenting on the status of a given integration would only speed up buying decisions, both of partner hardware and Roon subscriptions.

If you were a third party working on Roon integration, you probably would see it differently if RoonLabs outed you

1 Like

Sorry, not sure I follow. [Moderated] Just a lifetime member here with what I think is a very valid question. Over and out.

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,
Your question is valid.

Any updates on Roon Ready status for Cayin high end DAPs?

The answer … is also valid.

Roon won’t comment on status …

I appreciate it’s not want you want to hear but Roon are quite firm on this (and the NDAs go both ways).

I can understand you’re not pleased but this making is not down to Roon. The advice, as always, is that the merits of a device should be based on the devices current functionality … not on what is foreseen or even promised. Doing so leads to resentment when think don’t pan out as one wishes for.

2 Likes

Yes we just NEED roon support for Cayin n8ii. Its one of the few anderoid supported totl daps on the market that can work as stationary streamer too, very weird not giving proper support for Cayin devices.

1 Like

I have to agree with Nick, I’m a Roon subscriber but after speaking with a few friends in my groups many of us, myself included are considering not resubscribing this year if Cayin are not supporting Roon Ready status It makes no sense to me.

I’ve just bought an N30LE and with no support it’s pointless having the subscription.

I can’t fathom why this is taking so long as Cayin are making some fantastic products yet still no support.
I just hope these threads are read and acknowledged as we are the customers at the end of the day.

1 Like

Seems to be some complete misunderstandings here as how things happen and what a certification programme actually is. Roon cannot support any device unless the OEM wants to, the OEM then liaises with Roon and signs up to be a partner they begin to develop Roon’s SDK into their own code to make it Roon Ready.

This goes through a strict certification process this is where vendors get stuck as there will be bugs to iron out their side. This can go on for some time dependant on the resources the OEM has to put into Roon development in the first place and what red tape they have. This goes back and forth until it’s passed all criteria to operate as all Roon Ready device do. Only then does Roon trigger a server side update to allow said device to operate and there is normally firmware updates on the device to put finished code in place. All this is done behind closed doors and NDA for good reasons. Not one company passes first time and some really struggle to get it too work at all, some give up. If you want update talk to Cayin as the balls in their court they add the code not Roon.

Also consider there are also a lot of devices vowing for certification from all sizes of OEMs all doing the same thing.

If you bought a device on the basis of a promise or rumours of Roon Ready on a device this is on you. Don’t buy anything based on promises. Wait until the fat lady sings. I waited and waited until FiiO launched Roon on their devices, then I bought one. I did not buy and expect it when I wanted it to be ready.

All protocols have a certification programme to ensure devices behave as they should, Apple has one for AirPlay as do Google for Google Cast. These tend to be prioritised by developers for release.

8 Likes

Since the Cayin DAPs have DTA, in the meantime, can one not use ARC and listen without sample rate conversion?

Edit: This is more of a question for myself as I’m thinking of purchasing one. It’s not intended as a criticism of anyone wanting Roon Ready status.

Unfortunately using ARC results in audio handled by Android: AA audio is displayed in the chain.

The only way around is using an external dac/amp via USB.

1 Like

Well that’s disappointing.
Cayin claims their DTA implementation allows any 3rd party app to bypass AA.
Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

No DAPS bypass roons resampling as its done in Roon not via the AAudio so it doesnt matter if the device OS bypasses it or not Roon Android apps and ARC are hardcoded to resample on Android for systen output.

2 Likes

Will regrettably not renew my subscription in 4 month if I don’t see roon ready for my Cayin N30LE

Already done talking to Cayin,

According to their PR guy Andy Kong, it seems Cayin has been trying really hard to get in touch with Roon but Roon wasn’t very responsive.