Roon Synology USB Drive

I installed Roon onto a Synology DS220+ following the instructions here:

https://roononnas.org/en/synology-dsm7/

It works fine, mostly.

The trouble is that Roon occasionally loses access to the music library. The music library is on an external Seagate USB drive connected to a USB port on the DS220+.

When Roon loses access the same folder is still able to be accessed by browsing with a File Browser, like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, but the folder is not available in Roon.

I have attached a few screenshots both when the folder is accessible and when it is not.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Do you happen to have more than one external USB drive?

Yes, one is plugged into the front USB port the other is plugged into the back USB port of the DS220+.

I thought that it was odd that the folder reads “usbshare”, I thought that it should read “usbshare1”.

Yes the problem is that those drives don’t necessarily keep the same names when you reboot. It’s a pain. There is a solution but I don’t recall it. See if you can contact @crieke about it. He has the solution.

In Synology DSM go to Control Panel>Shared Folders, select the drive, select edit and the name field will be available to change.

Thank you. I tried renaming both of my external USB drives, but it still only shows one drive ‘usbshare’. This is the same as before. The new names don’t show up.

Are you rebooting your NAS often for some reason?

No, I almost never reboot the NAS.