Roon, TIDAL and MQA

should Roon not automatically pick the highest quality version?
I ripped this CD (AIFF) and this is also the version picked by Roon but the MQA version from Tidal is higher quality…

I have to think the new albums haven’t been synced to Roon yet? Just like new releases are delayed a bit.

Are you now able to talk about software decoding and if it will be available? Or have I missed you confirming in the past that it won’t be something Roon will be able to do?

Until we play them we can’t see in Roon that they are Masters, can we? Is that fixed in 1.3 @danny ?

I am tagging them for now until they can be properly ID’d.

No MQA for me, since I don’t have a ‘certified’ DAC. I’m not feeling too disappointed though - 192 albums after such a long wait - much of it probably not my preferred genres - so will just keep an eye on it for the future.

Great that Roon can deal with it already though.

Now, how did I know Beyonce would be in there…

There is a lot more than 192 albums at 24 bit now seems if Tidal has hires versions they are all available

The other issue is: allot of it is still the same brick wall compressed crap delivered in another format.

Which albums are you specifically talking about?

This is groundbreaking event, a shared moment for those of us with MQA de coders. I am listening to The Smiths in MQA, I never listen to The Smiths normally but I am enjoying it. I’m limited by my headphone quality but it does sound great. My sister ( A huge Smiths fan) would be proud of me, if she had a clue about all this…

1 Like

I don’t think so. There is no way they converted the master to MQA for every hires album in their library.

Tidal app lists 192 only.

All of the albums that were brick wall compressed before. The conversion to MQA doesn’t including remastering as far as I know, just conversion from the original high res masters.

Zac Brown Uncaged is a good example.

Of course conversion to MQA can be done with the remastering done badly. As can remastering at 192, DXD, DSD, Vinyl, or any other format. It’s nothing to do with MQA per se.

Anyway, this is off topic: I’m sure the @moderators will want us to keep discussing the TIDAL/Roon intersection rather than once more urinating on the MQA bonfire.

Well I am getting a lot of albums 24bit flac from Tidal - no mention of MQA on the Roon Info but definitely 24bit.

Don’t have any kit that process MQA as far as I am aware but Marantz Processor showing some albums 48kHz (it does not show bit rate, I can only see that in the Roon info.

2 Likes

It’s completely on topic: I discuss what MQA is and how it’s made. I made a general comment on compressed current content for @hifi_swlon’s sake. Not pissing on MQA in general, it’s not their fault.

No joy here. When I log in to Tidal on my desktop I don’t see the word “masters” anywhere, including settings. I have a HiFi membership.

Funny we’d have to read about it on CA first! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Up to 199. Could be they’re adding them in gradually.

1 Like

@hifi_slon No inside info here–but based on info that’s readily available (some of which I reported), it’s very likely that everything released so far existed as 24-bit masters at Warner Bros. That’s what they converted first, because it was easiest.

I understood that they have been converting for a very long time. Warner were at the launch event at The Shard in Dec 2014. I spoke with Mike J there and he is now senior within MQA. Clearly they were not new to MQA even back then.
I would not make any assumptions on what they could achieved by now.