Roon + Tidal + Hegel H590 and Mqa

Yet @Hasse_Hagen_Johansen is seeing similar problems with other sources, not only Roon, i.e., TIDAL, UPnP, mConnect etc.

We also see MQA signalling coming from Roon. @Christian_Akre1, it would be really helpful if you could take a closer look. Thanks.

Note: I an a volunteer community moderator, and not a Roon representative.

@Christian_Akre1 Then my H590 S CD is acting strange. From Roon it only decode 44.1 MQA(where 44.1 is after unfolded) it is the only circumstance where it will write MQA in the display and the only circumstance where Roon writes “MQA full decoder” in the signal path

Playing 96KHz MQA (again unfolded) I writes 44.1 in the display of h590 but sounds ok, but no MQA in the display or in the signal path

Changing roon to use the core decoder and set the Hegel as renderer a 96KHz file will write OFS(or something like that)in the display but write 88.2 as sample rate and the musik is played at wrong samplerate(so it slow and the pitch of sounds too low)

I experience similar problems via upnp

Played a straight 96KHz file from Trondheim so listener via upnp. The Hegel will write 44.1KHz and will play at wrong samplerate(too slow and low pitch of sound)

So something is not right with my H590(I just bought it used from one who works at dealer here in Denmark)

It it running the latest firmware. So it seems it can only play 44.1KHz correctly and nothing else and that saddens me

It seems that there is a sync problem somewhere. Could you please supply the serial number and the Software and Hardware version info from the menu (link below) to info@hegel.com.
Device Menu

I would suggest connecting your computer via the USB input to see the behaviour there. I would also suggest trying another Ethernet cable as a bad cable could in some rare case give strange results.

2 Likes

I have send the info to the mail. I will check with a computer and also try another Ethernet cable and report back the results

Thanks
Hasse

Hi again

Tried with a computer(Mac) via USB. Changing between different sample rates in audio midi setup work fine. The Hegel will switch immediately to the correct rate and I can also play 96KHz files fine with the Hegel at 96KHz

Using another cable directly in my router (to bypass my living room switch just to have as few devices as possible) it doesn’t work. I cannot go over 44.1KHz on the network port

Try Tidal MQA from Roon on Mac or Tidal Mac desktop app via USB.

I have tried tidal from Roon earlier in the thread. That is where I had problems, but it now seems like a more general problem if the Hegel not able to switch to some of the different standard sample rates

I just tried to play a MQA 352.8 file

And surprisingly that works perfect(so it seems the Hegel at least won’t switch to 48KHz and 96KHz, but as long the base file is at 44.1 it works, but not when the base file is 48)

1. Not via network RAAT, but via Mac OS USB output
  2. Try Tidal MQA of a sample rate that is a multiple of 48kHz, not a multiple of 44.1kHz.

Ah. Yes of course. I just saw Roon. I will try it from the Mac and also tidal

My best guess is that it will work

In general it seems like the Hegel doesn’t like the 48KHz and derived sample rates on the network port, because it is not only with Roon there is a problem also doing upnp with mconnect and minidlna on Linux or upnp/mconnect with tidal

So maybe some kind of clock problem when the network input is used

Hi Peter

Thanks for all your help. I have now tried your suggestions and everything works as it should with the computer over usb

First using Roon on the computer over usb:

Playing 48KHz MQA works. Playing 352.8 MQA works. Playing 48KHz plain works. Playing 96 KHz works

Here is example pictures

Then using tidal(cannot check what it will output in tidal). With the right settings using the same Steely Dan album in 96KHz MQA( in a 48KHz base file ) works and I get MQA 96 on the Hegel display

Here are some examples

So definitely something something wrong when using the network input with base sample rates other than 44.1

So this narrows the issue to the network / RAAT implementation section. I’m sure Hegel will be able to sort it out for you with this information.

1 Like

Hello Hasse, On a different subject. How do you like your Hegel compared to the Nad? I am using Roon on a Arcam ST60, Parasound Hint Halo, Rel T7x and B&W 805d3. Do you like Dirac Live? I am curious about the sound signature of the two. Thanks for consideration in providing some detail.

I think the M33 is a nice amp. No doubt about that. I tried the M33 against the H390 at the dealer before I bought. I liked the H390 sound a tiny fraction better (strum on guitar is a little more accentuated. I actually think the Hegel has a little lift in the midrange there. Making it more “dynamic” sounding which I personally like)

I would say the M33 is very neutral and therefor not as engaging in my opinion, but plenty of power and nothing missing and not harsh in any way. And then there is convenience factor as it does it all in one box

As per Dirac it has worked well for me. Calibrated to a tiny spot you would gain a lot stereo perspective in that exact spot, but it does not make the M33 quite as engaging as the H390/590 - but it is by a very small margin

The reason I ended up buying the M33 was the situation about Roon with Hegel

I have bought the H590 used because there was a nice offer compared to a used H390. Then I am also thinking in upgrading my turntable/Riaa amplifier and I don’t think it makes that much sense when your amplifier(M33) is digitalising every analog input even though it is actually doing a great job

I haven’t heard that much music yet on the H590 because I am focusing on getting my problems solved that it will only play 44.1KHz by the network port. Higher samplerates will play too slow/too low pitch. And most music on tidal is 48KHz MQA

Hegel support is very helpful though and much better responding than NAD support(the NAD had its software issues when it was younger)

I am using the amplifiers with Dynaudio Confidence C20

Edit: The Hegel is maybe also a little “faster” in the bass department

Thanks so much for your reply. Good luck fixing your problem and happy listening.