Roon to icecast server

Having fun broadcasting my own radio station over my LAN.

Setup:
Roon Core > D to A conversion >
package into icecast stream using AAC/192kb/VBR >
Play on any internet radio endpoint

Nice to have both Roon RAAT and Icecast server protocols on my LAN. Of course the SQ of RAAT is a magnitude better. The fun part is that all my desktops, phones and SBC can play the icecast stream. VLC works great as done iTunes. Will be exploring off the shelf table top internet radios.

My observation is that the friction to play my music is reduced. Tune it to radio and start listening.

Next step is to play the radio stream when I am mobile.

Fun…

1 Like

Interesting. In that way it would be possible to use Roon as input for a radio broadcast server. I think I’m going to find out how to do that. Every tip is welcome!

Not so easy as Roon playback is routed to RAAT devices.

What can be done:

• Install RoonBridge on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian
  • Install Icecast on the same Pi
  • Add a virtual ALSA loopback soundcard (modprobe)
  • Play audio from Roon to this virtual soundcard
  • Grab the other side of the virtual soundcard (also ALSA) using IceCast

Best DrCWO

1 Like

As I run the roon server of a Mac I took the audio out (analog out via rca interconnects) to a icecast server

Works well.

1 Like

Lossless???
Id IceCast ist configured to send FLAC this is important!

1 Like

I have over 1200 hours of old radio recordings digitized from AM pirate stations located near the coast of The Netherlands which I wanted Roon Rock to send shuffled to my own Internet Radio station. First attempt was the analog connection trick from villageworker It worked but my Raspberry was not having enough CPU power to do it. After some experimenting with ALSA loopback soundcard I’ve done it. Thank you DrCWO Roon Rock now sends the recordings shuffled and repeating to Icecast. Working great. Many old pirate radio enthousiast are very-very happy. This station can now also be found in the Roon Live Radio section under Witkamp Radio No HQ audio here, old AM Mono programs only!

2 Likes

Found it and added it to My Live Radio. Great stuff, will listen tomorrow :+1:

Listening to your radio is fun :grin:

What I wonder about how you made it that your station appears in the Roon Radio Library? Might be interesting for me too.

Please let me know.
Best DrCWO

As a Roon Radio Curator I added it. I’m Radio Curator for quite a while now and at least once a month l login to see if there are any malfunctioning stations or new requests for stations. The Netherlands is my region but to assist fellow curators I sometimes help with international stations also. It’s a great way of keeping the library up to date and I even had two Dutch music enthousiast subscribing to Roon after adding their favorite small, localized radiostations

2 Likes

I changed the name of the Roon powered radio to Dutch Offshore Radio / Nederlandse Zeezenders which also will be the final name for my radiostation. Roon is now sending my collection of over 400 radio-shows (>3.000 hours) 60’s and 70’s offshore radio broadcasts repeatedly and shuffled to my Icecast server. It’s working very good. I have been ‘broadcasting’ 24/7 for 3 weeks now.

1 Like