Roon UI is not good enough for $150 per year

Such as? A couple of self-moderated words (yes I replaced letters with underscore)… Just go to YouTube, every second video seems to be F this and F that, maybe I should moderate my kids viewing habbits :roll_eyes:

So are you just testing out Plex (and if so for how long) or are you using it in preference to Roon nowadays?

And what is this ‘much more’ you speak of? I’ve honestly got no idea.

Thanks.

How hard would it be for roon to add a simple thing like allowing the GUI to show artwork to the left and track listing to the right when in landscape on my 13" iPad Pro? and adding less clicks to simply play music. Its all bit none responsive and not very immersive or intuitive ATM.

2 Likes

Although I don’t feel addressed personally, I would like to say that I (and a lot of other “old Roonies”) made a lot of comments about the need for a better UI in older threads. If you would care to check up. :wink:

What I (and some other dinosaurs here) didn’t like and caused me to respond, was in fact the aggressiveness in the tone of the OP.

6 Likes

Hi - no I’ve bought the lifetime PLEXpass. its really cool and the server software is really easy to setup. There’s different apps for different purposes too. It does movies in the same manor as roon does for music… which is very cool…

I have Plexamp installed on the phone and it allows me to use my NAS (remotely) as you would Qobuz. i can download from my NAS to my phone over cellular and WiFi.

within PLEX you can choose any (DLNA/UPNP/AIRPLAY/CCA) endpoint to play too just like roon.

Just checked out Plex website… sounds amazing.

23.99 AUD (about 16 USD) a month for PLEX + TIDAL Hifi (that’s what I’m currently paying just for Tidal).
It’s a MONTHLY subscription, cancel anytime.

And guess what, according to the Plex website under Tidal features
Smooth Playback Get continuous playback, even across network transitions and glitches: our player not only buffers the entire track, but will read ahead the entire next track as well

Roon, you really need to try harder!!!

7 Likes

Hi Rajaish,

Ok - yes I always new Plex was mainly for movies (I’m not into movies), but didn’t really know it had adapted to music fairly well and offers metadata & artist info similar to Roon. :sunglasses:

Thanks.

I have a feeling we don’t play music in the same manner. Which is ok of course. I dislike the playlist thinking in some software (BluOS) because i play albums. And Roon is kind of album-centric.

However, Roon is very adaptable in this regard as you can select any play behaviour you might want, but you know this, right?

Still fail to grasp how tou can say that you need a lot of clicks to play something in Roon compared to mConnect, but let’s not go there.

4 Likes

Or a $95 lifetime membership! :wink: which is often discounted to $75 in promo deals

And a 30 day trial too… unlike Roon’s 14 day… Come on Roon, up your game!

I can’t imagine Roon is getting many new (younger) customers if they have to complete against Plex’s features and pricing.

I guess Roon’s base is older guys with expensive systems.

1 Like

Fair enough. So what is a better comparison?
Audirvana currently is $96.
I believe that is for a “lifetime” license, but only for the current version.
An upgrade to v. 3.5 currently is $68, plus an additional $28 for a cross-platform conversion. But yes, even with those additions, it’s cheaper. Some people think the SQ is better. I did a trial but much preferred Roon’s UI and overall ecosystem.

1 Like

I’d second-guess this too. Nothing against expensive systems. Also not against older guys. But I am a bit afraid this thing is going to die away over time if they dont take a real effort to fixing pending issues and get this software catapulted into the 2020’s instead of sticking to the early 2000’s

Just put in a lot of time in making it sort-of work for me… Because the basic concept is still good.

Not complaining about cost. I dont mind spenidng USD 120 a year if everything works well and looks good.

1 Like

I’ve used Plex for many years (PlexPass lifetime) for video but for not for audio. There are too many problems. You never know if it is bit perfect and 5.1 is a nightmare. Help from devs is non existent and the forums are non intuitive. Every platform has a different UI. The only way to get satisfactory audio passthru is to use it as an app under Kodi. Backup of your library requires an ITdegree. Roon is a top tier product in comparison.

8 Likes

I agree, thats why I use Emby for video. Very simple backup-plugin. But for music, at least classical, neither Plex nor Emby is an option because of non-existant handling of Work / Part.

Have you updated to the latest server software? i don’t have any issues with it working and my DAC tells me what bit rate is being played on its screen. Its not resampling anything , theirs was of setting this in the server software anyhow… my point is roon should be a more flexible and listen to its audience.

Roons interface is old, its not moved on much from its roots. IIRC its code began as Sooloos with Meridian https://www.meridian-audio.com/about-meridian/meridian-sooloos/

3 Likes

Were you a Sooloos user? I’m guessing not from this comment…

5 Likes

It may be “old”, but functionally, Roon’s interface far outstrips Plex’s Music offering, IMO.

• Plex has only Artist, Album and Track browsers (no Composer or Composition browsers).
  • Credits are very basic, and there’s little interlinking as a result.
  • Slicing and dicing of your library is limited - there’s nothing like the Focus (and subsequent Bookmarking) features in the Roon browsers, only a straightforward filter.
  • Static and realtime lyrics are not supported.

I use Plex for films, video and TV. I don’t use it for music. I’d like to use it for my photo library, but after more than five years Plex still hasn’t realised that photo metadata is a thing.

7 Likes

Yes a long time ago. Had the Meridian Core 200 and an iPad. This system went into either DSP6000s
or a Weiss DAC202 and ATC ASL 50’s.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying its not better, but it needs a refresh IMHO

1 Like

I do, and it works flawlessly for me!

2 Likes