Roon UI is not good enough for $150 per year

The Roon UI is a [moderated] IMHO… It’s the little things that matter… Can’t change fonts, font size too big in search input sometimes, too big on splash screen (I guess you just suck at responsive design), inability to filter some “lists”, inability to filter for MQA titles, 3 second delay switching radio stations (yet Foobar2000 can switch instantly), oversized tiles on radio station list, need to click radio station tile then click again to switch station (can’t switch from the top level list [moderated]), no download of Tidal for offline play (licensing issue ok fine), no whole track buffering for Tidal (I don’t want the track to pause midway because of network issues), etc etc etc… Get off your lazy backsides and FIX THE [moderated] PROBLEMS… Do some UI/UX testing… for $150 a year subscription it needs to be perfect… Mentioned these things before… Never any response or acknowledgement from devs… Roon doesn’t care, they must be thinking “just give us your cash suckers and [moderated] off”… Roon you suck! Try harder with the UI/UX… Oh let me guess you have staff issues with “the rona”, yeah whatever, I’ve been complaining about all the above for years.

Here’s an idea… Publish a REST API so 3rd party devs can implement their own UI/UX… So maybe the current ROON UI runs minimized (or hidden) to service the API requests from a 3rd party UI (say an Electron app). I’m sure some “hobbyists” could actually do a better job than you implementing a responsive UI with a better UX than your efforts.

9 Likes

Roon staff all work remotely. There is no Roon office. Roon has been far less disrupted than most businesses by the virus. Whatever the reason for the devs not responding to your issues, it is not this. I expect they simply don’t share your views about problems and priorities regarding the current UI.

Mods have shifted this post into its own thread as it was off-topic where it was.

A number of users have flagged the post as inappropriate. Moderators have edited out non G rated content, but allowed the post as user opinion. We take a broader view about criticism of Roon than might be tolerated in relation to other users.

If you intend to contribute to this discussion, please talk about the ideas not the other users. Mods will close down the thread if it becomes inappropriately offensive.

6 Likes

Where do you get $150 annual subscription??? it is actually $120.

If you were to make a case in a positive and grown-up manner (e.g. politely), you might just get some positive response, as it is, the way you put things you just come over as rude, and deserve not to be taken seriously.

A happy Roon user who feels that the positives of Roon far outweigh any negatives.

21 Likes

I think Roon UI is fine, works fine on both macOS and iOS.

You can filter on whatever you want. It is not filter, but focus (here from Roon with Norwegian language)

When it comes to other issues:

• 3 seconds delay switching live radio channel => I have not noticed this problem
  • Download for offline playback is a known feature request (also use the system from outside the local network).
  • Buffering is not a problem, no pause here. Usually this is connected to local network conflicts (try connecting your Roon core directly to Router).

Roon is one of the highest quality application/system I’m using. So I do not recognise the challenges you describe. I see Roon working hard on improving the response and quality of the system for every release (just look at search response time in latest release compared to previous releases). Yes, sure we all want everything done yesterday - but I’m really happy with the direction Roon is taking, and that Roon points me to great music I would never ever have known existed without Roon.

9 Likes

It would appear ROON isn’t a good match for you. Why would you continue to pay for software that isn’t good enough? Probably best to find a player / solution that does everything perfectly for you, has no issues ever, works for every conceivable setup and implements every solution you demand for your setup.

8 Likes

@MatthewS2077 Agreed. The UI is pretty inconsistant and does need fixing. A number of Bug Fix and Feature requests in this are pending. Some since a (very) long time. I sure for one hope this will get adressed eventually.

And btw: Dont get intimidated by being bashed down and told „go elsewhere“. Thats pretty much the norm here. Anyone slightly critical gets told off. Weird attitude but thats the way it is…

1 Like

I’m in Canada and with the exchange rate it works out to $ 163.00.

I disagree. I have zero issues with Roon.

6 Likes

Sorry but the Roon price is still USD 120 - exchange rate conversion to another currency is irrelevant, unless of course you made it clear in your original post that it was 150 (now 163??) Canadian dollars. I am in UK so ultimately pay in GB£, but the price is still $120 US, regardless of currency rates…

5 Likes

It would be good if we could see examples of what people would consider a good UI, because I don’t see enough wrong to be unhappy. I know I may be less tweaked by the sort of inconsistencies others have a problem with. So educate me. It’ll go a hell of a lot further in getting support than the pre-moderated language I saw earlier.
Or maybe that was just the forum version of texting your ex when drunk?:joy:

12 Likes

I’ve tried few UIs and the best I’ve come across are this and Sonos. Neither are perfect but I prefer Roon and have changed my main listening room to this as it is more flexible with the kit it can integrate with vs Sonos. For me, the Sonos set up was a bit slow (used to take about 15mins to update the library after adding one album!), Roon seems to be much better in this respect for the way I use it and listen to music. Happy to have an annual subs and hope further improvements come.

4 Likes

Well reading between the lines of the original posters comments, I don’t think anybody here would suggest Roon’s UI is perfect. However, that doesn’t mean it’s not good, nor that the bulk of the users aren’t sufficiently happy (esp c/w alternatives).

One of the things I find increasingly annoying is the inability to cut & paste from Roon & the large editing screen that becomes an overlay and doesn’t float (sorry if they aren’t the technical computer terms), so editing I’m more often than not having to minimise screens and so on. Anyway…don’t want to derail the topic with my ‘feature requests’.

@MatthewS2077

No, don’t expect a response from Roon’s devs; it is their modus operandi to not talk about developments. That has previously been stated. So, you can abuse people all you like, but that is the least likely way to get a response (from anybody) I assume.

Perhaps if you had visited the forum in more recent times you’d know that Covid has not impacted Roon’s staffing, in fact I think they’ve taken on some more staff in this time.

And if you think of the old cup half full - think how many people around the globe have been at home wanting to listen to more music. Perhaps a perfect opportunity for Roon growth.

Happy listening. :musical_note:

3 Likes

This is a very good reason to vote with your cash.

Or, if you think you can fix it https://roonlabs.com/jobs

Last I checked… No one is forced to use, in your words, “a [moderated]” UI.

2 Likes

$120 USD = $170 AUD.

You got to be kidding me… The forum complains “Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?”

Yeah I didn’t renew my subscription.

3 seconds delay switching live radio channel => I have not noticed this problem
Download for offline playback is a known feature request (also use the system from outside the local network).
Buffering is not a problem, no pause here. Usually this is connected to local network conflicts (try connecting your Roon core directly to Router).

3 second delay switching stations in Roon, Foobar switches instantly… Ofc maybe they fixed it (I’ve not used Roon in a few months), BUT I very much doubt they have fixed it.

Maybe they added MQA filtering, I just remember there was some filtering issue with Tidal… maybe there is no way to “focus” Tidal title… that might have been it (rather than MQA).

Re buffering I’m talking about pre-emptively buffering the entire Tidal track offline, so that at least the track is not paused whilst playing (due to Tidal server or internet issues).

Happy to see if Roon has fixed it, just give me another 2 week trial.

Roon is 90% perfect… it’s just the niggling UI/UX that ruin it (for me)… It’s just not worth playing $170 AUD a year.

The Roon meta data is great… Fix the UI issues and I’d pay $170 a year.

Also, is Roon an Electron app? Can the CSS file be edited by users who want to tinker with the styling of the UI, eg the font… I get it no support if a user tinkers, but come on Roon I can’t believe you don’t let users pick their own font and change the font size (Maybe you do now, IDK)

? Assuming that was directed in my direction. I was obviously being facetious.

No, what’s typical as of late is to hear what amounts to sophomoric complaining without any semblance of coherency.

Intimidation, really? Good grief. Yeah that’s my intention, because I get those huge paychecks for standing up for ROON :roll_eyes:

Certainly there are bugs, issues etc.with ROON in various configurations + environments, but present those issues with some sort of emotional intelligence.

This application won’t work for everyone and if one is unhappy, then it seems logical to possibly look at alternatives.

6 Likes

We can also do without the profanity.

5 Likes

It does have issues… #1 is Tidal playback… Due to either Tidal servers or internet issues I quite often get tracks pausing during playback… Can you imagine how that totally ruins the experience? If Roon offers Tidal integration they need to find a way to stop that from happening… Ideally allow an Album to be downloaded for offline play (I can on Tidal for phones)… Can’t do it on PC because of licensing? Lame.

Yeah I did stop my subscription.